Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
random upgrade questions
Hello fellow Devialet-fans

Right now i'm running a Dev 120 to Giya G2.
This was never an intended setup as i bought the Dev 120 to feed my B&W Monitors for my computer setup.... unfortunately sometime in between i heard the G2, fell in love and couldn't resist.

So now i feel the time has come to relegate the D120 to its original computer speaker duties, and choose a more potent amp for the G2. The obvious choice seems to be the D250 (with possibility to upgrade to D800), but i am wondering if a D200 or D400 wouldn't be sufficient.

Are there Vivid Audio owners who feel like chiming in?

Dedicated Intel 2600k JRiver :: 1000Pro :: Vivid Audio Giya G2
Main Workstation :: 220Pro :: B&W CDM1 SE
I have Giya G3 speakers. I have D400. Room size is approximately 23' long by 13.5' wide by 9' tall.

I have not tried running the G3's with a single D200, but I can state that for the times when I like to turn things up loud it is handy to have the D400 as the volume can get up to -4. In normal use it is around the -33 to -20 mark depending on source material. DSD if you have it is usually recorded lower and thus needs a slightly higher volume setting.

But please note that I have an opening into another room at the back, it is not a sealed in room.

FWIW I do have an external set of bi wire speakers connecting the Devialet to the G3. Which of course will not make a difference in regards to volume.

I believe the G2s are more efficient than my G3s.

I have never heard a D250 so I cannot speak to that possibility.

And I should mention the G3s sound great with the D400.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Plus of course there is our friend in SA who I believe is powering his G1 one with a single D250....
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(01-Oct-2015, 02:18)baddog Wrote: Plus of course there is our friend in SA who I believe is powering his G1 one with a single D250....

The South African I believe that is being referred to is Rodney_Gold and he uses a single DPremier. He listens loud and the DP has no problems

Me I use 800 on my G1s (i am South African to) but that's because I got an unbelievable deal. I did a home audition with a single DP and no problem

Then there is another South African with G3's and a 120 - no problem. 

Vivids are not pigs to drive and coupled with the minimal output impedance of Devialet's which makes them super drives of speakers - I think a single 200 would be more than sufficient. Then there is the option to upgrade to a 400 down the line

Vivid and Devialet are a superb combination. Enjoy. 

As an aside Vivid is the Devialet distributor in SOuth Africa.
Thanks, much better post than mine with far more information and comparisons. Live and learn!
SXSW, US
(01-Oct-2015, 00:01)baddog Wrote: I have Giya G3 speakers. I have D400. Room size is approximately 23' long by 13.5' wide by 9' tall.

I have not tried running the G3's with a single D200, but I can state that for the times when I like to turn things up loud  it is handy to have the D400 as the volume can get up to -4. In normal use it is around the -33 to -20 mark depending on source material. DSD if you have it is usually recorded lower and thus needs a slightly higher volume setting.

But please note that I have an opening into another room at the back, it is not a sealed in room.

FWIW I do have an external set of bi wire speakers connecting the Devialet to the G3. Which of course will not make a difference in regards to volume.

As a matter of fact if you never go above -3 dB in a 400 then a 200 will be able to deliver the same. (To be taken with a grain of salt because SAM can change the picture).

I honestly think that the difference shall come more from the intrinsic qualities of the dual mono configuration rather than the doubling of power.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(01-Oct-2015, 08:58)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(01-Oct-2015, 00:01)baddog Wrote: I have Giya G3 speakers. I have D400. Room size is approximately 23' long by 13.5' wide by 9' tall.

I have not tried running the G3's with a single D200, but I can state that for the times when I like to turn things up loud  it is handy to have the D400 as the volume can get up to -4. In normal use it is around the -33 to -20 mark depending on source material. DSD if you have it is usually recorded lower and thus needs a slightly higher volume setting.

As a matter of fact if you never go above -3 dB in a 400 then a 200 will be able to deliver the same. (To be taken with a grain of salt because SAM can change the picture).

I honestly think that the difference shall come more from the intrinsic qualities of the dual mono configuration rather than the doubling of power.

Jean-Marie

Thanks Jean-Marie - I have never fully understood the correlation of dB to volume capabilities of the Devialet ( in other words I don't know how far above 0 it can go and I suspect I will never find out as -4 is more than enough volume for me. ) 

Helpful to know that at -3 dB that a 200 would be as equally capable of pure volume as a 400. And as you noted, the reason I went for a 400 as opposed to the 200 was for those other "intrinsic" qualities.

As another aside I am using SAM at around 40% so I imagine that would have an impact on the power as well.
SXSW, US
Thanks a lot guys, very helpful Big Grin

I managed to chat a bit with Rodney_Gold, an really the D400 seems to be an interesting choice.
I just wonder why the D250 is that expensive though. it feels tough that one can get 2xd200 for the same price as the d400.

Then again, d250 and d800 means having the top of the line... guess i need to source both of them and see if i can hear any differences between the d200 and the d250.

choices, choices Smile

Dedicated Intel 2600k JRiver :: 1000Pro :: Vivid Audio Giya G2
Main Workstation :: 220Pro :: B&W CDM1 SE
I often run my D Premier into the +7 mark , however I use DIRAC which implements a 6-10 DB cut to enable digital headroom

I had a dealer over last week that turned the system up to ungodly levels .. Marcus Miller .. Papa was a roling stone..got some subsonic bass ..
I was waiting to hear the amp clipping , but not so..it played with aplomb . This must have been well over 100db at listening position , I like loud , but this was over the top..

As to G2's .. I have a friend who owns a set .. he was running off a 120 and has upgraded to a 200 .. which he says is much better.

Why dont I upgrade to a 250 .. well price for one .. and my speakers arent sammed.. dont think SAM will do much for them
The only real advantage is USB and ethernet.
I would rather get a 400 system than a single 250 .. I have run monoblocks many times in the past and have felt that separating the channels is the key to monoblock "goodness"

I am trying to gert another d prem.. but the seller isnt budging on an inflated 2nd hand price. Not sure if I need it .. but as the Yanks say .. there is no replacement for displacemnt..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
0dB means that you are reaching maximum power for 0 dBFS. So if you are listening to material that is peaking at 0 dBFS, setting a volume of more than 0dB on the Devialet will lead to trigger their elliptic compression which you can see indicated by the dB symbol becoming orange in the display.

Above 0dB is primarily made for recordings that are having a lot of headroom (I have some recording with 6dB head room, meaning the highest sample is -6dBFS. In that case, I could crank up the Devialet up to +6 without entering into any compression.

Power wise, a D200 is about 2.5 dB higher than a D120. a D400 only 3 dB than a D200 and therefore only 5.5 dB than a D120. The reason why a D400 will perform better on a given speaker is not so much the potential volume because 3 dB is barely discernable, but resides in the current capacity, the dual mono mode that is making the already incredible THD and IMD even better, etc etc....

Also if your speakers can support it, a D120 run at 0dB will have no spared power for SAM to be compensating the speaker while a D400 delivering the same average dBSPL will only be running at -5.5 dB, therefore leaving almost 6 dB for SAM.

Jean-Marie
PS: depending in the recordings I'm listening to classical music between -6dB and 0dB on my D120, the majority of recordings being at -6.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France