Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
real hype, phantom sound
Luckily we all have our own opinions of what 'sounds best'. Otherwise, we wouldn't need a HiFi industry at all.
I am not fortunate enough to own an expensive (subjective, I know) system. But I have heard quite a few and been mightily impressed with some of them.
I didn't believe the hype and some of the terminology in the white paper is humorous.
It took me about a minute listening to a stereo pair to realise that Phantom is in fact HiFi and not a gimmicky music centre. Not only would I consider it to be HiFi, I believe it to be outstanding HiFi and far exceeds the quality of sound from some of those expensive systems I've heard.
And anyway, unless you have your eyes closed, you soon forget how they sound because you are mesmerised by the way they move!
(22-Jul-2015, 09:25)fettler269 Wrote: Luckily we all have our own opinions of what 'sounds best'. Otherwise, we wouldn't need a HiFi industry at all.
I am not fortunate enough to own an expensive (subjective, I know) system. But I have heard quite a few and been mightily impressed with some of them.
I didn't believe the hype and some of the terminology in the white paper is humorous.
It took me about a minute listening to a stereo pair to realise that Phantom is in fact HiFi and not a gimmicky music centre. Not only would I consider it to be HiFi, I believe it to be outstanding HiFi and far exceeds the quality of sound from some of those expensive systems I've heard.
And anyway, unless you have your eyes closed, you soon forget how they sound because you are mesmerised by the way they move!

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
I already stated before that a person listening to Dali Grand speakers will not be happy with a coaxial system like the phantoms Smile

People who are used to soft and slow speakers like these will never like a point source speaker system. Or maybe they will but it needs weeks to get used to it. And if this soft sound even is sweetend by a tube ( maybe even a EL34 ) it is the complete contrary to the fast and direct phantoms.

I guess in these cases listener and speakers simply are not compatible.

But what I really wonder is if the dealer let the Phantoms burn in for a week or so. When I first listened to them after unpacking I wanted to send them back immediately. Thanx god I had to travel for some days so I asked my wife to play them around the clock.

Today I have to state that they do not 'sound' at all. Except the thickened bass at lower levels. They reproduce. There are systems that have better treble and much more stable bass. Thre also are systems with better mids. But overall Phantoms are more than you need.
@Chillin
I am definitely in favour of "analogue" sound. I also have Spectron Audio Musician MK2 amp (of course purchased second hand) . It is 2x800W RMS, 7KW peak, holding peak transients for 0,5 sec. It is so powerful you can play the drums along and the sound levels are equal. My daughter has NAD 7050D (2x50W) .
I rather dislike the sound from both. What those two and Devialets have in common is D-class power stages. D-class sound is really abrasive for my ears. My eardrums start aching after short listening. Honestly, it's physical. My favourite amp is the 2x22W tube AirTight which can fill the room to excessive levels o sound through the 90dB/4ohm Grands. I tested ATC, B&W, Spendors and and other brands, even horns and Magnepans, and settled on Grands. Yes, that's the sound I like most (and the agreeable price for the second hand pair). On top of that the Denon DCD-A100 gives as "analogue" sound as possible with a digital source (SACD, CD or digital files). You are right, me and Phantoms do not get along.
(23-Jul-2015, 19:08)nugat Wrote: What those two and Devialets have in common is D-class power stages.

That's not strictly true.  The Devialets do not simply have a class D power stage, it is a class A/D hybrid (hence the term ADH).

I'm not trying to argue about whether or not you like what you hear, of course...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I got my Phantoms last week and I spent the last evenings in my garden listening to personal open air concerts from my favorite musicians and orchestras. Absolute fabulous.
I surely will miss this summer, that is so hot and lasting here in Germany because of these evenings listening to my silver phantoms playing in the garden.
No one will do this with our high end gear. The Phantoms are just two cones that only need power. A question of two minutes to set them on the table in front of the garden sofa.
And by the way, the bass seems to be just made for outside, where no walls define boomy frequency modes. Smile

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
(23-Jul-2015, 21:35)Krisp Wrote: I got my Phantoms last week and I spent the last evenings in my garden listening to personal open air concerts from my favorite musicians and orchestras. Absolute fabulous.
I surely will miss this summer, that is so hot and lasting here in Germany because of these evenings listening to my silver phantoms playing in the garden.
No one will do this with our high end gear. The Phantoms are just two  cones that only need power. A question of two minutes to set them on the table in front of the garden sofa.
And by the way, the bass seems to be just made for outside, where no walls define boomy frequency modes. Smile

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I think that the discussion was more about the fact that sound quality is not as good as Devialet marketing says. I doubt that with two Phantoms on tables in the garden will allow them to really sound well. But I agree that there hardly will be any room modes that make bass ugly :-)

I yesterday evening solved any bass problem because I also was experiencing a slightly overpowered bass due to modes. I connected an Antimode 2.0 to the phantom's Toslink input and feed the Antimode with a mac mini and Spark. The Antimode counteracts the modes perfectly. The result is a very controlled and tight bass. This combination is fantastic! Due to the fact that bass is controlled the mids are way clearer than before.

The next step will be that I am going to buy the new Auralic mini streaming node and feed the Antimode with it. Together with the remote volume control that hopefully will be available soon this will be a fantastic system.

So add 849 Euro for an antimode and 449 Euro for Auralic mini to max the fun the Phantoms will give you :-)
I've been told that the Phantom remote will not be available until September, so probably around Christmas time.
If branch isn't available soon, then people will already have located some suitable stands and simply won't bother. My local machine shop can modify stand top plates so that a Phantom will look 'right' on them.
I'm not sure about having some Greek pillar looking stands in my living room anyway.
I wonder what kind of functionality the remote will have?

Because I think it's cumbersome to use a tablet or smartphone for volume and track control all the time.
(24-Jul-2015, 09:42)Chillin Wrote: I think that the discussion was more about the fact that sound quality is not as good as Devialet marketing says. I doubt that with two Phantoms on tables in the garden will allow them to really sound well. But I agree that there hardly will be any room modes that make bass ugly :-)

Hey, just give it a try.
It is somewhat like making love in nature and not at home Wink

I just wanted to add a new aspect to the discussions. And it is all about good feelings when listening to music, isn't it?

Cheers,

Krisp