Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to place the speakers?
I am waiting for my new apartment to be build, and whilst waiting I am using the time to think about where to place things and how much furniture I need. Yes I'm starting with my Phantom's and then I'll buy furniture...

Enclosed is a sketch of my apartment, where should I place my Phantom Golds for the best sound in the living room and kitchen?
The red squares is just a proposal with the other lines that shows the way the speakers are pointing.

I know I it's impossible to come with an accurate answer, but what are your thoughts?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Laptop with Windows 10
2 x Phantom Gold
Dialog firmware 1.14.1.3
Norway
The corner is not a very good spot as the other Phantom would 'see' just the wall behind and not a side wall or a corner. You'd have an L/R imbalance that is difficult to fix. The opposite part is probably better as you'd have better symmetry with the wall to the sleeping room on one side and the outer wall to the balcony on the other. The sleeping room wall should maybe have double plating and extra insulation for stiffness and damping...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(27-Mar-2018, 20:07)ogs Wrote: The corner is not a very good spot as the other Phantom would 'see' just the wall behind and not a side wall or a corner. You'd have an L/R imbalance that is difficult to fix. The opposite part is probably better as you'd have better symmetry with the wall to the sleeping room on one side and the outer wall to the balcony on the other. The sleeping room wall should maybe have double plating and extra insulation for stiffness and damping...

The problem on the bedroom side are the windows. In the room close to the bedroom; the window to the right is 190 cm tall, starts approx 50 cm from the floor and the window facing south is 150 cm tall and starts approx 90 cm above the floor, so it's impossible to place a TV in the center of the speakers. With this in mind the whole apartment is more or less useless for a decent sound, there will always be a 90 deg angle on one of the speakers. 

Since there is no room correction or any other way to adjust the speakers without a lot of "boxes and DIY" etc. are there any real competitors with active room correction or similar, except B&O?

I want a decent sound and a clean look (active speakers and no extra boxes) in the same price range as the Phantom's. 
(before I bought the Phantom's the LS50W on stands with a subwoofer was the alternative, but they look like speakers..)
Laptop with Windows 10
2 x Phantom Gold
Dialog firmware 1.14.1.3
Norway
The only active speaker I know that has built in adjustment (but no auto room correction) for this kind of problem is the Kii Three. The Kii Three is even more 'a speaker' than LS50... and the price is twice that of Phantoms.
Room correction does not necessarily mean more boxes. Acourate or Audiolense would fix most of the issues of your current plan. You'd need a player with convolver capabilities like Roon or JRiver and you will still keep your setup with only a laptop and Phantoms. Sources directly connected to Phantoms/Dialog would still have the problem though.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(28-Mar-2018, 08:32)ogs Wrote: The only active speaker I know that has built in adjustment (but no auto room correction) for this kind of problem is the Kii Three. The Kii Three is even more 'a speaker' than LS50... and the price is twice that of Phantoms.
Room correction does not necessarily mean more boxes. Acourate or Audiolense would fix most of the issues of your current plan. You'd need a player with convolver capabilities like Roon or JRiver and you will still keep your setup with only a laptop and Phantoms. Sources directly connected to Phantoms/Dialog would still have the problem though.

OK, thank you for a good and accurate answer Smile

The thing is that I like the speakers very much, but I've found out that it's really important to get a good position. 
From what the seller at the store told me it wasn't as important with these as ordinary speakers.

I guess I'll find out as soon as I've spent some time with the setup once I get the new apartment.
Worst case scenario; I'll get another setup :-)
Laptop with Windows 10
2 x Phantom Gold
Dialog firmware 1.14.1.3
Norway
(29-Mar-2018, 00:54)Limtre Wrote: From what the seller at the store told me it wasn't as important with these as ordinary speakers.
Unfortunately that statement is not quite right and must be labelled as a 'convenience' for the seller. In this context Phantoms behave mostly like any speaker. Only speakers that have built in correction features for asymmetric placements, such as the Kiis, can be described like that.
I am sure you'll find out of it - good luck!
Devialetless!
(29-Mar-2018, 12:59)ogs Wrote:
(29-Mar-2018, 00:54)Limtre Wrote: From what the seller at the store told me it wasn't as important with these as ordinary speakers.
Unfortunately that statement is not quite right and must be labelled as a 'convenience' for the seller. In this context Phantoms behave mostly  like any speaker. Only speakers that have built in correction features for asymmetric placements, such as the Kiis, can be described like that.
I am sure you'll find out of it - good luck!

I think it's worth adding that the Kii's cardioid radiation also helps to greatly reduce room problems.

The Dutch&Dutch 8c is also worth considering, also cardiod and individually adjustable.