Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
standalone, fire-and-forget web radio and DOS2
(03-Jan-2020, 02:07)Damon Wrote: I hope I'm not derailing things, but could Phantoms, either Gold, Classic or Reactors, be fed music and internet radio from a Sonos?

That definitely is derailing Wink I sure hope you find a solution that fits you well, but I started this thread about Devialet taking a feature we like away, and how, if possible, to bring it back. Let's wish us all, in that regards, a lot of success in 2020.
(of course I can't do zip if y'all start talking about Sonos ;p )
So I called Devialet. The next items on the App/OS development list are multi-room capabilities and an equaliser, which I assume many people are waiting for. Sadly, re-integrating a web-streaming client (web-radio is just web-streaming, after all; you could be streaming from your own server) is not on the list at present.

So if you want this, do like me and call them, so that we can create an incentive to bring this feature back.

NB: they first tried to explain to me the rationale why they ditched all streaming services (so that the experience they offer is not dependent on some other companies maintaining access compatibility) but kept Spotify (they use their own protocol that don't need credentials). Don't let that deter you. It still means they integrated some sort of Spotify client in the current OS, and if they do that they can do the same with web streaming, since it's a well-documented, open protocol that is also not dependent on one company to be useful (and doesn't need credentials).
(26-Dec-2019, 02:01)yepyepyep4711 Wrote: Hello everyone,

what's been holding me back from upgrading to DOS2 (and from buying a second Classic) is the way web radios are handled with Spark. Basically, it's like Spotify Connect. You start the app, choose what you want, start playback and then it doesn't matter what you do with your phone or PC, playback will not stop until you tell it to. The phone can lose connectivity, the app can be shut down, it doesn't matter. You've just directed the Phantom to play that source, and it will.

I don't want to lose this functionality. I don't want to worry about being the source of music for the family, making sure that my phone stays in range, has enough juice, having to figure out what other device could be a new source to switch to if I decide to go to the shop around the corner and don't want to deprive the family of whatever they are hearing.

Can this be achieved with DOS2?

Thanks all

exactly my problem as well.

I will never update when I can not have radio streaming anymore that is independent of a phone or another computer. Using Airplay the music is bound to the device that startet the session. I start a song, leave the room and take my phone with me, music stops and my wife must start the music again from her phone? This is just so nuts. And what I’m I supposed to do with the Dialog, I bought that device for this very purpose that was part of the sales package. I like it a lot that I can turn down the volume from my phone when the kits push it to the limit using the remote. I guess that won’t be possible anymore unless I started the stream. 

Despite the ugly and user unfriendly Spark app I have to problems with the current setup, why break something that works well...
(08-Jan-2020, 00:06)gelasma Wrote:
(26-Dec-2019, 02:01)yepyepyep4711 Wrote: Hallo allemaal,

wat me tegenhield van upgraden naar DOS2 (en van het kopen van een tweede Classic) is de manier waarop webradio's worden behandeld met Spark. Kortom, het is net als Spotify Connect. Je start de app, kiest wat je wilt, start het afspelen en dan maakt het niet uit wat je doet met je telefoon of pc, het afspelen stopt niet totdat je het zegt. De telefoon kan de connectiviteit verliezen, de app kan worden afgesloten, het maakt niet uit. Je hebt zojuist de Phantom opdracht gegeven die bron af te spelen, en dat zal het ook zijn.

Ik wil deze functionaliteit niet verliezen. Ik wil me geen zorgen maken dat het de bron van muziek voor het gezin is, ervoor zorgen dat mijn telefoon binnen bereik blijft, genoeg sap heeft en moet uitzoeken naar welk ander apparaat een nieuwe bron kan zijn om naar over te schakelen als ik besluit te gaan naar de winkel om de hoek en willen de familie niet beroven van wat ze horen.

Kan dit worden bereikt met DOS2?

Bedankt allemaal

precies mijn probleem ook.

Ik zal nooit updaten wanneer ik geen radiostreaming meer kan hebben die onafhankelijk is van een telefoon of een andere computer. Met Airplay wordt de muziek gebonden aan het apparaat dat de sessie start. Ik begin een nummer, verlaat de kamer en neem mijn telefoon mee, muziek stopt en mijn vrouw moet de muziek opnieuw starten vanaf haar telefoon? Dit is gewoon zo gek. En wat ik met de dialoog zou moeten doen, kocht ik dat apparaat voor dit doel dat deel uitmaakte van het verkooppakket. Ik vind het erg leuk dat ik het volume van mijn telefoon kan verlagen als de kits het uiterste bereiken met de afstandsbediening. Ik denk dat dat niet meer mogelijk zal zijn tenzij ik de stream begon. 

Ondanks de lelijke en gebruikersonvriendelijke Spark-app heb ik problemen met de huidige configuratie, waarom iets breken dat goed werkt ...

+1
RE the original question about Radio options for fire and forget.

In looking for something else to use while i am still trying to get DOS2 working consistently
Ran across an old RPI3 with a Digi (SPDIF) output running VolumeIO and updated the image to the latest.
(thinking i can plug it into the phantom directly to see if that works better than the dialog does)

and noticed : **VOLUMEIO** has Radio and Podcasting support built in

In theory this is even better than spark.
Just put it on your network connect it to the phantom via SPDIF.
access the devices web page and start it streaming.
not sure how well it will just keep running or not (my past experience is it needs a reboot about every day or so)

but

there is a VOLUMEIO plug in to reboot and to autostart

so you could in theory put a radio station in a play list and it would start playing when it starts up after rebooting every day.

mabye something to try

regards
scott-
(10-Jan-2020, 11:11)scotthar Wrote: RE the original question about Radio options for fire and forget.

In looking for something else to use while i am still trying to get DOS2 working consistently
Ran across an old RPI3 with a Digi (SPDIF) output running VolumeIO and updated the image to the latest.
(thinking i can plug it into the phantom directly to see if that works better than the dialog does)

and noticed : **VOLUMEIO** has Radio and Podcasting support built in

In theory this is even better than spark.
Just put it on your network connect it to the phantom via SPDIF.
access the devices web page and start it streaming.
not sure how well it will just keep running or not (my past experience is it needs a reboot about every day or so)

but

there is a VOLUMEIO plug in to reboot and to autostart

so you could in theory put a radio station in a play list and it would start playing when it starts up after rebooting every day.

mabye something to try

regards
scott-

Hi Scott,
thanks for the great tip, I thought about doing something on a RPI myself because I have one running in the basement anyway. Did not know VolumeIO, but it looks awesome. Best is it has AirPlay output, that would make it work even without attaching it to the phantom itself. In mycase thats perfect becuase the RPI is not in the same room. And for Webradio - well I guess AirPlay quality will be good enough ;-)

For everybody who does know what RPI is: they also sell hardware that has everything built in, pretty cool: https://volumio.org/product/volumio-primo/. It has tidal, spotifym, qobuz etc, webradio etc. Actually it is just a better Dialog with a better Spark. 

If someone from Devialet is listening: why not provide a VolumIO version that runs on Dialog, it is OpenSource? I am pretty sure this would be possible and would make everybody who paid for Dialog and needs this functionality happy.