Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Direct connection PC-Devialet using Ethernet Cable
Hello

Is there anybody using Ethernet cable to connect Devialet and laptop?

Please describe step by step how to make a direct connection between PC/Laptop and Devialet Ethernet input using one Ethernet cable.

Do I need to turn on Devialet Air?

What I need to choose in Devialet config and what to setup in computer? I use Windows 7 and Foobar2000 with Wasapi plug-in.

Thanks
First off, a standard ethernet cable should do. In the past a crossover cable would've been needed but for years most network interfaces have been able to cope using a regular cable, so a regular should work fine between laptop and Devialet.

Secondly, you need to enable the ethernet interface in the Devialet's configuration. By default the Devialet ethernet interface requires a DHCP server on the local network. In this case this local network would have two devices on - your laptop and the Devialet. On Windows you can install a third-party DHCP server or use Internet Connection Sharing, but to be honest it's probably easier just to configure static IP addresses on the laptop ethernet interface and the Devialet.

To configure static IP addresses first you need to determine what the subnet address will be. Now I'm guessing your laptop could be already connected wirelessly to an access point and then on to the internet? If this is the case you don't want to create the new subnet with the same details as that existing one. To check for existing network connections, on the Windows PC go to Start and enter 'cmd' in the 'Search programs and files' and hit Enter. When the command window pops up, type 'ipconfig /all' at the prompt and it'll list all the network interfaces available. Look for any existing ones with an IPV4 address. Typically the address will be something like 192.168.0.x or perhaps 192.168.1.x. We're looking for the first three sets of digits that exist (i.e 192.168.0 or 192.168.1). For the new subnet you don't want to use those same patterns! If (say) you already have an IP address of 192.168.0.14 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 then our new subnet can be (say) 192.168.1.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. To be honest you're probably reasonably safe to take a wild guess and choose a subnet of 192.168.100.0 as it's pretty unlikely that would already be in use!

To configure a static IP on the Devialet, you need to first enable the Ethernet interface. Under 'Advanced Settings' for the Ethernet interface, turn off DHCP and you'll get the option to enter an IP address and a network mask. You could make this a really small subnet with just two devices but I tend to just use a /255 subnet. Now with the info gleaned from earlier about the subnet address (let's say 192.168.100.0), enter an IP address of '192.168.100.2' and a network mask of '255.255.255.0'.

Now on the PC you need to configure a static IP on the network interface. This explains how to do configure an IPV4 interface:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windo...=windows-7
In this case I'd suggest an IP address of 192.168.100.1 (it must be on the same subnet as the Devialet so shares the 192.168.100 prefix), a network mask again of 255.255.255.0, and a default gateway of 192.168.100.1 (so your PC is effectively the default gateway too).

Power up the Devialet with the new configuration and the ethernet cable attached and it should be able to talk to the PC.
You can double check this, again in a 'cmd' window. Open up the window and type 'ping 192.168.100.2'. You should get (by default) 4 'Replies'.

Next you will need to install AIR on the PC. The Devialet should appear as an available 'sound card'. From then on you can use Foobar2000 to play to that sound card. I'm not 100% sure how to configure Foobar2000 to do this.

That's basically it. I skimped on the network config a bit. Someone else might be able to describe it a bit better! I'm also assuming your music is on the laptop. If it's on another network device then a 'private' subnet between laptop and Devialet is not the best way to go.
Cheers, Rob, that's a brilliant walk-through.
I might give it a go later this week.
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(01-Jun-2014, 12:03)Rufus McDufus Wrote: First off, a standard ethernet cable should do. In the past a crossover cable would've been needed but for years most network interfaces have been able to cope using a regular cable, so a regular should work fine between laptop and Devialet.

Secondly, you need to enable the ethernet interface in the Devialet's configuration. By default the Devialet ethernet interface requires a DHCP server on the local network. In this case this local network would have two devices on - your laptop and the Devialet.  On Windows you can install a third-party DHCP server or use Internet Connection Sharing, but to be honest it's probably easier just to configure static IP addresses on the laptop ethernet interface and the Devialet.

To configure static IP addresses first you need to determine what the subnet address will be.   Now I'm guessing your laptop could be already connected wirelessly to an access point and then on to the internet?  If this is the case you don't want to create the new subnet with the same details as that existing one.  To check for existing network connections, on the Windows PC go to Start and enter 'cmd' in the 'Search programs and files' and hit Enter. When the command window pops up, type 'ipconfig /all' at the prompt and it'll list all the network interfaces available. Look for any existing ones with an IPV4 address. Typically the address will be something like 192.168.0.x or perhaps 192.168.1.x.   We're looking for the first three sets of digits that exist (i.e 192.168.0 or 192.168.1). For the new subnet you don't want to use those same patterns!  If (say) you already have an IP address of 192.168.0.14 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 then our new subnet can be (say) 192.168.1.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.    To be honest you're probably reasonably safe to take a wild guess and choose a subnet of 192.168.100.0 as it's pretty unlikely that would already be in use!

To configure a static IP on the Devialet, you need to first enable the Ethernet interface. Under 'Advanced Settings' for the Ethernet interface, turn off DHCP and you'll get the option to enter an IP address and a network mask. You could make this a really small subnet with just two devices but I tend to just use a /255 subnet.   Now with the info gleaned from earlier about the subnet address (let's say 192.168.100.0),  enter an IP address of '192.168.100.2' and a network mask of '255.255.255.0'.

Now on the PC you need to configure a static IP on the network interface. This explains how to do configure an IPV4 interface:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windo...=windows-7
In this case I'd suggest an IP address of 192.168.100.1 (it must be on the same subnet as the Devialet so shares the 192.168.100 prefix), a network mask again of 255.255.255.0, and a default gateway of 192.168.100.1 (so your PC is effectively the default gateway too).

Power up the Devialet with the new configuration and the ethernet cable attached and it should be able to talk to the PC.
You can double check this, again in a 'cmd' window. Open up the window and type 'ping 192.168.100.2'.  You should get (by default) 4 'Replies'.

Next you will need to install AIR on the PC. The Devialet should appear as an available 'sound card'.  From then on you can use Foobar2000 to play to that sound card. I'm not 100% sure how to configure Foobar2000 to do this.

That's basically it. I skimped on the network config a bit. Someone else might be able to describe it a bit better!  I'm also assuming your music is on the laptop. If it's on another network device then a 'private' subnet between laptop and Devialet is not the best way to go.

Hi followed your instructions I still can’t connect my pc to Devialet directly via Ethernet cable... it shows  unidentified network in windows 10.  

Can anyone help?
I used 192.168.100.100 and 192.168.100.101 as IP, it works fine on windows10
It does not work with CI yet.
Spiral Groove/Soundsmith - jRiver/Audiophile Optimizer/Process Lasso - Devialet 1000 pro - Rockport Ankaa
Nordost Valhalla, Brahma, Frey2+ & Tyr2/Ansuz Mainz C/D8
Isoacoustics OREA/Shunyata Dark Field/Nordost QV/QK
Devialet Gemini
I'm not 100% sure With Windows 10 but it may be showing 'unidentified network' because it's either detected what it thinks is a 'problem' with the network (i.e. no route out to the internet).
If you know the IP address of the Devialet, can you ping the Devialet from the PC? (Right-click Start menu, select 'Run', type 'cmd', and in the command window type 'ping ' followed by IP address of Devialet - e.g. "ping 192.168.0.10").
@Rufus McDufus

Perfect thanks !
Everything works well
I've done this with my 220 Pro (with CI) and a NAS, should work exactly the same, see here: https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?...6#pid74186
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s
I got it working in 5 mins using a MacBook which has an unused LAN port and connects to the WAN router wirelessly

The instructions from PeppaPig are spot on

Set up the network port, load Devialet AIR, choose AIR, go to System Preferences/Sound and choose Devialet AIR, same with JRiver Playback Options/Device
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds