Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
totaldac D1 server
Does anyone on here have any experience with the totaldac D1 server? I must say this looks very interesting indeed...

http://www.totaldac.com/D1-server-eng.htm

Some extracts from the website:

The d1-server has digital outputs exclusively, spdif and AES-EBU, so compatible with most DACs.
It is controlled from an Ipad.
The music storage is external to allow a maximum of flexibility. It can use ethernet discs (NAS) or USB discs .
The music files are ripped or copied from another computer to the external discs.

Embedded reclocker interfaces:
-192KHz asynchronous Xmos USB, RCA, optical and AES-EBU digital inputs, selectable from a remote control.
-44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz and 192KHz, 16 to 24 bit formats supported on all inputs except 96KHz max for optical input.
-DSD (DoP standard) supported on the USB, AES-EBU and spdif inputs.
-an custom DSD to 176.4KHz/24 pcm can be activated or disactivated from the remote control.
-AES-EBU and spdif (RCA or BNC) digital outputs, only one of these outputs must be used at the same time.
-embedded custom clock with anti-jitter FIFO memory.
-69bit digital volume control, adjusted by a remote control and an OLED display. The remote control receiver can be disabled by a switch to dedicate the remote control.
-bit perfect signal path when the volume is set to maximum (0dB).
-phase polarity selected by remote control.
-display switched off by remote control or automatic.
-all unused inputs are completely disconnected (including the ground) to keep the optimum noise floor even when several sources are connected.
-external power supply to minimize the noise.
-aluminium and PMMA enclosure.
-power consumption 20W.
-dimensions: height 110mm, width 360mm, depth 290mm.
-power supply dimensions: height 65mm, width 122mm, depth 180mm.
-weight: 4kg.

Technologies:
The d1-server is composed of 5 key elements:
-the Totaldac d1-digital reclocker. It generates the spdif et AES-EBU, recognised for its sound quality.
-The 800MHz ARM based Cubox mini computer, a tiny and very low consumption computer, which generates much less electromagnetic pollution than a bigger computer.
This mini computer is completely shielded. Its software can be updated by simply changing the microSD card easily accessed on the back panel.
-A 5V ultra low noise power supply, herited from the d1-dual DAC design.
-The music player MPD running here under linux RT (real time), found to be best operating system for the sound quality after listening tests.
It is not necessary to have Linux knowledge to install and use the server, the tablet is the only interface for the user.
The music library is usually copied and organised in the NAS or in the USB disc using a Windows or MAC computer.
-The Totaldac USB cable/filter, recognised and tested in many different environments (this is an option).

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hi Guillaume,

I'm still contemplating which source to go for so thanks for posting this.

Maybe I'm missing something - the spec does look good but it doesn't seem to do any more than the Auralic Aries, doesn't have Qobuz integration and at 4.990 euros costs three times as much. Unless it sounds a lot better then I think it would be difficult to justify the extra cost.

Regards,

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(17-Aug-2014, 21:22)PhilP Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something - the spec does look good but it doesn't seem to do any more than the Auralic Aries, doesn't have Qobuz integration and at 4.990 euros costs three times as much. Unless it sounds a lot better then I think it would be difficult to justify the extra cost.

You're not missing anything! Smile

The Aries looks great on paper and functionality-wise is certainly much better value.

By the way the totaldac site does mention Qobuz: "streaming such as Qobuz and Deezer via Squeezbox / LMS / Ipeng7"

I just think it's interesting to mention some other options and this one looks good (low noise, DSD, digital clock...). I suspect the SQ of this one might be rather special but I certainly wouldn't part with any money before testing this comprehensively first!

In fact I intend to try and carry out a comparison of AIR v MiND v ARIES v TOTALDAC at some point... Tongue

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(17-Aug-2014, 22:13)GuillaumeB Wrote: In fact I intend to try and carry out a comparison of AIR v MiND v ARIES v TOTALDAC at some point... Tongue

Guillaume

Now that would be an extremely interesting comparison Smile I would guess several hundred Devialet owners would love to know the outcome.

The Totaldac does cost more than a 200 'Companion' with the current 15% discount offer though...

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(17-Aug-2014, 22:13)GuillaumeB Wrote: In fact I intend to try and carry out a comparison of AIR v MiND v ARIES v TOTALDAC at some point... Tongue

Guillaume

Would love to hear the results of that comparison!

Couple of weeks ago I tested a DCS Vivaldi Upsampler (20K USD !!!!) as digital source to Devialet... Although it was delightful, did not justify the cost... AIR, with my current configuration (: Apple Airport Extreme grounded to Entreq, .75m Audioquest Diamond Ethernet to Devialet, wireless from my MacBook Pro using Audirvana and RamDisk for the playlist, playing Wav files) is now very close, if not better...

My next trial will be playing around with power supply of the router... Now I have a home made power cable for the router instead of the standard Apple which makes a real difference... I will try linear or battery supply for the router... We will see...

I know I am crazy, but I really like squeezing the last bit from these wonderful amps..

And a sincere thank you to Guillaume for giving me the last push for the Audioquest Diamond ...

Cheers...
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
A member of the french forum audiophilefr has a Devialet 800 with a TotalDac Server as it is the best solution he found as a source... TotalDac has a strong reputation here in France and even if the Aries have the same features, I think it´s only a question of SQ... He and other members organized listening comparisons and the TotalDac Server + Dual Dac is a strong combination...
For those that are interested I've ordered the totaldac D1 server! Totaldac offer a 10 day trial after which you can return the item and only pay for shipping.

Should be some interesting times ahead of us! Cool

I'm also getting their ethernet cable/filter which I'll compare to my current reference the Audioquest Diamond.

Any thoughts on how I can my hands on an Auralic Aries?!! Let the battle commence Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Guillaume

UK
Really interesting Guillaume !

D1 Server and the Totaldac ethernet cable… Mmmmh… So interesting !
(19-Aug-2014, 18:32)GuillaumeB Wrote: For those that are interested I've ordered the totaldac D1 server! Totaldac offer a 10 day trial after which you can return the item and only pay for shipping.

Should be some interesting times ahead of us! Cool

I'm also getting their ethernet cable/filter which I'll compare to my current reference the Audioquest Diamond.

Any thoughts on how I can my hands on an Auralic Aries?!! Let the battle commence Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Guillaume

As long as you don't shutdown or rename the forum... On a serious note : this is what makes this forum so great. No dogmatic attitude either pro or con Devialet in combination with other products.
Why don't you send a mail to Auralic ? You have a public on this forum that has a certain amount of money to spend (Devialet is not exactly free), is open for technical innovation (most of us already use some form of streaming), and have a use case for an Auries. It would be very interesting if you could compare an OS X based solution and a Windows based machine vs a dedicated player with decent outputs.
I for one would be more than happy to provide a Windows based machine.
Update: the D1 Server has shipped and should be with us on Thursday. I've checked with Vincent Brient (the maker) and the unit has already had a fair number of hours on it so shouldn't need too much running in. Cool I've already downloaded the apps to my iPhone and iPad in frenzied expectation. Here are details of the control points:

http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpad/

http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpod/

It seems that I need to rename my QNAP as "totaldac-nas" and my music folder as "music-nas"... not exactly UPnP-style plug and play but I'm told it works!

Here's the user guide for the d1 server for those that are interested:

http://www.totaldac.com/fichiers/d1-serv...0guide.pdf

Guillaume

UK