Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
totaldac D1 server
(27-Nov-2015, 08:17)Chris Marshall Wrote: Well, the manufacturers you'd hope/want except Devialet!

Having said that, if Air was working for everybody they wouldn't need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite. I'd just sort of resigned myself on that one.

In fact, even if Air worked I'd still want RoonReady in the Devialet - its just more redundancy, and more options. Since I use Roon it would make more sense anyway to have their protocol built in than to go through Air, as you'd also be able to control volume and everything from Roon (well, the Roon protocol is apparently capable of it, so manufacturers have options to implement it).

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(26-Nov-2015, 23:09)Hifi_swlon Wrote: For totaldac owners, there was a snippet on the Roon forum saying they plan to support Roon as endpoints (ie totaldac being RoonReady) unless it's technically impossible for any reason.

As for everyone, the Roon SDKs very new and only recently released, but there are already lots of hints from the manufacturers you'd hope/want to be on board, that indeed they are testing.

It would be really great if Vincent could add RAAT to his FPGA. In that case ethernet must be added to DAC's and the reclocker. I hope this is the case... otherwise Roon will only be present on units with the server PC built in. Does anyone know?
The Totaldac reclocker is already high on my wish list and Roon lifetime becomes an option if this happens. If Devialet added convolution to the DSP I'd be a happy camper. I have very little hope left for the last one though...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I need to get new streamer , should I go for aurender or totaldac ?
(01-Jan-2016, 22:36)no32 Wrote: I need to get new streamer , should I go for aurender or totaldac ?

IMHO, the totaldac is hard to beat but the W20 is great. The N10 may be closer in price and sound. The other Aurender models aren't comparable to the totaldac.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Thank you
(19-Aug-2014, 18:32)GuillaumeB Wrote: I'm also getting their ethernet cable/filter which I'll compare to my current reference the Audioquest Diamond.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

Just wondering if you could share your thoughts on the ethernet cable/filter?
How does it compare to the aq diamond?

Have you tried the usb cable/filter?

Which would you say offers more sound per pound?

Thanks

Jason
(09-Jan-2016, 15:28)TheMadButcher Wrote:
(19-Aug-2014, 18:32)GuillaumeB Wrote: I'm also getting their ethernet cable/filter which I'll compare to my current reference the Audioquest Diamond.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

Just wondering if you could share your thoughts on the ethernet cable/filter?
How does it compare to the aq diamond?

Have you tried the usb cable/filter?

Which would you say offers more sound per pound?

Thanks

Jason

Apologies for the delay in responding. I have done quite a lot of swapping between the AQ Diamond and the Totaldac and have come to the conclusion that the AQ is better, that's not to say the Totaldac isn't a good cable, it most definitely is and especially for the price!

Over the years I've done a LOT of experimenting with ethernet cables and the AQ Diamond is the one that leaves you in no doubt that something special is happening. It is outstanding.

The USB filter is an integral part of the d1 server since it connects the Cubox to the reclocker. As such I haven't used it for any other purposes.

Hope that helps.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Hello everyone,

I have been in contact with Vincent Brient (from Totaldac) with the intent to buy a d1-server for my soon to arrive Devialet. He has offered me to buy a complete DAC (d1-six) instead and to feed the analog output signal from his DAC into the Devialet. He claims that some Devialet users have found this solution a further improvement compared to d1-server + Devialet.

Have you ever heard or read about this kind of solution ?
Thanks,

Pierre
(18-Jan-2016, 09:35)Our Wrote: Hello everyone,

I have been in contact with Vincent Brient (from Totaldac) with the intent to buy a d1-server for my soon to arrive Devialet. He has offered me to buy a complete DAC (d1-six) instead and to feed the analog output signal from his DAC into the Devialet. He claims that some Devialet users have found this solution a further improvement compared to d1-server + Devialet.

Thanks,

Pierre

Yes I have heard of this. As long as you understand that the analog output of the d1-six would go through the AD and DA converters of the Devialet it is OK (i.e. you are not bypassing the Devialet DA-converter by doing this). The AD-DA process in the Devialet is very transparent. If you connect a record player to one of the phono inputs of a Devialet amp the signal will go through the same AD-DA chain.
The best would be if you could try both a d1-reclocker (server) and a d1-six with your amp and then decide what is best for you.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(18-Jan-2016, 15:27)ogs Wrote:
(18-Jan-2016, 09:35)Our Wrote: Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Pierre

Yes I have heard of this. As long as you understand that the analog output of the d1-six would go through the AD and DA converters of the Devialet it is OK (i.e. you are not bypassing the Devialet DA-converter by doing this). The AD-DA process in the Devialet is very transparent. If you connect a record player to one of the phono inputs of a Devialet amp the signal will go through the same AD-DA chain.
The best would be if you could try both a d1-reclocker (server) and a d1-six with your amp and then decide what is best for you.

I've seen the notion of putting a 'better' front end DAC into a Devialet before, and while I've no doubts there are many DACs out there that are now better than the Devialet, I really can't get my head around this particular case.

Unless I'm being a total dunce, for an outboard DAC to sound better than the Devialet's internal one - since there's no way to bypass it -  it must mean that the Devialet is better at doing an A>D>A that it is a straight D>A?  Otherwise any superiority in the outboard DAC should be 'removed' by the Devialets internal D>A?  

The only thing I can think of is Devialet doesn't deal with AES/USB digital inputs as well as the totaldac, so even using the totaldac server into the Devialet could mean a poorer output overall, whereas maybe if the Devialet generates it's own digital signal (from its A>D) it can somehow achieve a better result? In this case it would reveal a weakness in Devialets digital inputs and/or filtering/upsampling or whatever?

Otherwise I'm at a loss and would welcome some help understanding….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<