Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
totaldac D1 server
(25-May-2016, 18:14)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Great that it all arrived and setup without too much hassle.  Do you see yourself going back to MPD Guillaume (or running it in parallel), or is it too early to tell?

I suppose it somewhat depends on whether you leave oxford audio with a stack of dCS up-sampling kit in a few weeks, as I don't think they're Roon certified yet Wink

I don't think I'll be using MPD anymore since I can pretty much do everything I was doing before and lots more. Both Roon iPad and iPhone apps work beautifully and the sonicTransporter just does its stuff in the background. Perfect.  Smile

I plan on using AIR 3 for Qobuz streaming via their desktop app on my Mac.

And I think it's highly unlikely I'll be leaving OAC with a dCS Vivaldi Upsampler and Clock, I just don't have £24k to spend at the moment. Very keen to hear it though.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(25-May-2016, 18:22)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(25-May-2016, 18:14)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Great that it all arrived and setup without too much hassle.  Do you see yourself going back to MPD Guillaume (or running it in parallel), or is it too early to tell?

I suppose it somewhat depends on whether you leave oxford audio with a stack of dCS up-sampling kit in a few weeks, as I don't think they're Roon certified yet Wink

I don't think I'll be using MPD anymore since I can pretty much do everything I was doing before and lots more. Both Roon iPad and iPhone apps work beautifully and the sonicTransporter just does its stuff in the background. Perfect.  Smile

And I think it's highly unlikely I'll be leaving OAC with a dCS Vivaldi Upsampler and Clock, I just don't have £24k to spend at the moment. Very keen to hear it though.

Guillaume

The dCS products are beautifully made though Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(25-May-2016, 19:46)PhilP Wrote:
(25-May-2016, 18:22)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

The dCS products are beautifully made though Wink

At that price they should be Confused

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Just to get this thread back on track I just wanted to say that I don't think my system has ever sounded this good.  Smile

Not sure I could tell you whether this is down to the sT (low powered dedicated machine with SSD), RAAT (incl. totaldac's implementation) or the Entreq cable, I suspect a combination of all of these.

What's particularly nice is having such a pleasant interface to manage my music through, coming from MPD and iPeng it's quite an improvement! I particularly like the fact that as soon as I have uploaded a new album to the sT, it shows up instantly in Roon with no intervention required on my part. With MPD I needed to manually update the database and local cache which could take some time. Also any metadata issues are so much easier to fix through Roon.

I am starting to think about how I can use Roon tags to my advantage, already I'm clicking the little heart button on the albums I really like!

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(26-May-2016, 14:45)GuillaumeB Wrote: I am starting to think about how I can use Roon tags to my advantage, already I'm clicking the little heart button on the albums I really like!

The Focus tool is quite nice once you get into it too Guillaume.
Although it can be useful as an ad-hoc filter, if you save the results as a bookmark, it can be recalled later on - and dynamically updates too. So for example you can Focus on redbook FLAC files, of electronic music, from the 90's, and not listened to in last X days, and save as a bookmark - it will stay up to date as your library and play history changes.

Or as andybob pointed out in the 'hidden features' topic:
Albums/Focus/Inspector/Contiguous Tracks, inverted, is a great way to find albums with bad track numbering.

(edit: apologies, I missed the getting the thread back on track bit)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(26-May-2016, 14:59)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(26-May-2016, 14:45)GuillaumeB Wrote: I am starting to think about how I can use Roon tags to my advantage, already I'm clicking the little heart button on the albums I really like!

The Focus tool is quite nice once you get into it too Guillaume.
Although it can be useful as an ad-hoc filter, if you save the results as a bookmark, it can be recalled later on - and dynamically updates too.  So for example you can Focus on redbook FLAC files, of electronic music, from the 90's, and not listened to in last  X days, and save as a bookmark - it will stay up to date as your library and play history changes.

Or as andybob pointed out in the 'hidden features' topic:
Albums/Focus/Inspector/Contiguous Tracks, inverted, is a great way to find albums with bad track numbering.

(edit: apologies, I missed the getting the thread back on track bit)

Thanks!  Smile
Well I guess Roon is part of the totaldac functionality now.

Guillaume

UK
Out of interest, have you had any communication with Vincent about how much work was involved to get 'Roonified' Guillaume?

I get the impression its a lot of work - or maybe it's easier for smaller companies that can be autonomous, know their code inside out, and maybe have tidier code? I'm just perplexed that the likes of Bryston have been on that list for a looong time and still not there, and apparently Aurender think its too much work, while total silence from Melco. Yet the likes of Sonore and totaldac and other smaller companies seemed to blaze through.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(26-May-2016, 15:15)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Out of interest, have you had any communication with Vincent about how much work was involved to get 'Roonified' Guillaume?

I get the impression its a lot of work - or maybe it's easier for smaller companies that can be autonomous, know their code inside out, and maybe have tidier code?  I'm just perplexed that the likes of Bryston have been on that list for a looong time and still not there, and apparently Aurender think its too much work, while total silence from Melco.  Yet the likes of Sonore and totaldac and other smaller companies seemed to blaze through.

No but I can ask!  Smile I'm sure the hardware that Aurender and Melco use has a lot to do with it.

The totaldac d1 server is built around a quad core Cubox, the same box that is essentially the Sonore SonicOrbiter! 

Guillaume

UK
(26-May-2016, 15:15)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Out of interest, have you had any communication with Vincent about how much work was involved to get 'Roonified' Guillaume?

I get the impression its a lot of work - or maybe it's easier for smaller companies that can be autonomous, know their code inside out, and maybe have tidier code?  I'm just perplexed that the likes of Bryston have been on that list for a looong time and still not there, and apparently Aurender think its too much work, while total silence from Melco.  Yet the likes of Sonore and totaldac and other smaller companies seemed to blaze through.

According to Vincent they started the integration work of RoonReady in December 2015 and finished and got the certification in early May 2016.

Guillaume

UK
It looks as though there is a new upgrade available for the d1 server. This involves some changes to the USB power supply, so basically another hardware update. 

Someone who has had the upgrade done reckons it's a pretty substantial jump in performance. 

Music to my ears...  Cool

Guillaume

UK