Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrade program - why would i need a dealer code?
Last week I went to my Devialet dealer and borrowed a D220 Pro for a few days. I was hoping the difference between my current D120 Expert and the D220 Pro would be marginal and would not justify the costs for upgrading but unfortunately the difference is not subtle at all with my Focal Electra 1028 speakers. The D220 sounds so much better than the 120 that I have decided to upgrade.

So I went back to my dealer and asked them about the procedure for upgrading. I know this can be done through the devialet website but i wanted to know if this also could be done via the dealer if that would be beneficial to anyone. Anyway, first the dealer told me that he was not aware of a upgrade program (which i find a bit odd..) and then he told me that upgrading via them would not have any benefits except that they would receive a small bonus from Devialet which is supposed to be so small that they are not that bothered. However, they gave me a dealer code which you can fill in on the devialet website when going through the upgrade process. That code gave a 'dealer code is invalid' message. Does anyone know why I should use a dealer code?
Devialet 220 pro expert; Focal 1028 Be; Rega RP6; Ortofon Quintet Black
(28-Mar-2019, 13:49)Out of Gum Wrote: Last week I went to my Devialet dealer and borrowed a D220 Pro for a few days. I was hoping the difference between my current D120 Expert and the D220 Pro would be marginal and would not justify the costs for upgrading but unfortunately the difference is not subtle at all with my Focal Electra 1028 speakers. The D220 sounds so much better than the 120 that I have decided to upgrade.

So I went back to my dealer and asked them about the procedure for upgrading. I know this can be done through the devialet website but i wanted to know if this also could be done via the dealer if that would be beneficial to anyone. Anyway, first the dealer told me that he was not aware of a upgrade program (which i find a bit odd..) and then he told me that upgrading via them would not have any benefits except that they would receive a small bonus from Devialet which is supposed to be so small that they are not that bothered. However, they gave me a dealer code which you can fill in on the devialet website when going through the upgrade process. That code gave a 'dealer code is invalid' message. Does anyone know why I should use a dealer code?

Hi, ordered my upgrade via the Devialet homepage. Have not used a dealer code, for a code was never asked !! Rolleyes
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Hello @Out of Gum
Welcome to the forum and the interesting joys of Devialet ownership.

I too started with a D120, which I absolutely loved. I also upgraded and was amazed at the degree of difference the D220 Pro, then CI, brought to my system. Changes I never expected.

I am about as far from an expert - on the expert- as one can get, but I think that one issue here regarding the upgrade is that the factory Expert > Pro upgrade may not be in place any more? Or if so, it is no longer handled by dealers. Devialet seems to be in the middle of changing its distribution system so that may be a factor here. Dealer codes may all be ineffective. It would not be a surprise if Devialet has not updated their website. Others will give you better advice, I'm sure.

When I was debating the upgrade, my dealer was charging about $1,000.00 more for the upgrade than I paid by using the Devialet website and paying in Euro. That annoyed the crap out of me. 

One other thing that comes to mind is that originally, the early upgrade included the subsequent CI board installation. My memory is that only the first round of upgrades included the free CI phase; later Expert > Pro upgrades would have the CI board as an extra cost option. I wonder if selling the D120 and buying a second hand D220 Pro CI would be less expensive? Just a thought.

I'm personally bewildered by what I've spend on audio since I started with Devialet (and not just on the amp, not at all); at say, $25,000.00 I'm in the junior league compared to many. But the Pro CI amps are really superb, and I am impressed with it still, every time I turn it on.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
If I understand correctly the upgrade program was once just a temporarily thing but after some time the option returned. I can select the upgrade which I want to do but there is an option to enter a dealer code. The website suggests to enter this code if you are doing the upgrade via the dealer. However, my dealer is apparently not very interested in taking part of this as they do not get paid for this. I don't know what second hand D120s and D220 exactly go for these days but i have the impression that the D120 is not worth much anymore.
Devialet 220 pro expert; Focal 1028 Be; Rega RP6; Ortofon Quintet Black
I have had the same error message when using upgrade code issued by Devialet. That doesn’t mean a root cause is the same. I have contacted Devialet and they given me a new code that have worked. They said the error was due to a bug in theirs website setup.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
I would skip the code if not required, and as you say your dealer doesn’t seem very interested. If they are not handling the shipping etc back to devialet, then I wouldn’t bother with any code to get them their commission.
Dear Guys,

i recently started the upgrade process form expert 220 pro to CI. it was still free of cost on my account and i hope it will  be picked up soon.

My question is:

- What will be exchanged or added during this upgrade
- What stays as it is
- is there any new warranty start to run after this??
- is the sound imporvement really noticeably?

Maybe some have experince already and can explain a little more in detail

Thanks a lot..
Andy
(28-Jun-2019, 11:06)AnKran Wrote: Dear Guys,

i recently started the upgrade process form expert 220 pro to CI. it was still free of cost on my account and i hope it will  be picked up soon.

My question is:

- What will be exchanged or added during this upgrade
- What stays as it is
- is there any new warranty start to run after this??
- is the sound imporvement really noticeably?

Maybe some have experince already and can explain a little more in detail

Thanks a lot..
Andy

Hi Andy,

For Pro to Pro CI only the DUET and WiFi board are exchanged for the new CI board. No extended warranty. Also new box and a polish. Many people did report SQ improvements even when not using one of the CI inputs, most likely due to better clock(s) or power network on the card.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(28-Mar-2019, 13:49)Out of Gum Wrote: Last week I went to my Devialet dealer and borrowed a D220 Pro for a few days. I was hoping the difference between my current D120 Expert and the D220 Pro would be marginal and would not justify the costs for upgrading but unfortunately the difference is not subtle at all with my Focal Electra 1028 speakers. The D220 sounds so much better than the 120 that I have decided to upgrade.
I "upgraded" from an Expert 120 to an Expert Pro as well but it had nothing to do with sound quality.  The sound quality of the 120 is superb and in some ways better than the Pro's.  While I can appreciate the enthusiasm I think some perspective is necessary here.  If anyone finds the sound quality of the Expert Pro's so much better than the Expert's it's not the amp that was lacking but rather the manner in which the comparisons were done.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
(03-Jul-2019, 08:08)RebelMan Wrote:
I "upgraded" from an Expert 120 to an Expert Pro as well but it had nothing to do with sound quality.  The sound quality of the 120 is superb and in some ways better than the Pro's.  While I can appreciate the enthusiasm I think some perspective is necessary here.  If anyone finds the sound quality of the Expert Pro's so much better than the Expert's it's not the amp that was lacking but rather the manner in which the comparisons were done.

When I did the upgrade from 120 to 220 Pro, I was more than satisfied with the result. Beside a clearer definition of instruments and voices, the 100 Watt extra was what my speakers made shine.
It might be different with other speakers and other acoustic situations in the individual living room.
But when I switched to a new set of speakers the gain in clarity was much greater. The speakers are and will from my point of view always be the weakest part of the audio chain.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk