Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
using Dialog and DOS2
Hello, regarding to migrate from DOS1 vs DOS2 - I've read and re-read a number of the posts and the devialet migration guides and not sure DOS2 will do much for me.

I'm thinking in my case it comes down to if i want to jump to using UPNP or not???

I'm not clear how the dialog might be used in this new DOS2 world. i.e. PC -> SPDIF - DIALOG. 

is there a way to use the PC->SPDIF->Dialog as the source without using a PHONE?

For background:

The current setup is using a custom PC running Music Bee output SPDIF to dialog for stereo phantoms. (Phantoms support BT but not Airplay)
Everything is connected via Ethernet. I'm not sure if the Dialog supports Airplay or not but I dont use airplay.
Do occasionally stream directly to Phantom via BT but not often. (only for ad hoc NOT as primary)
Spark is used from the PC *only* for selecting the Dialog/Optical input and to put it in the Queue and play. (and for setup)
Volume is controlled via a combination of Music Bee feeding the dialog via spdif and the physical Phantom remote.
Spark (for android) and the music bee remote are both installed on my phone but both are rarely used in practice.
I'm not stuck on the dialog but dont want to use Optical in on the Phantom. (gear placement wise that just does not work)

Assuming in the DOS2 world
The PC app gets uninstalled and I would need to use my android phone (rather than the PC) to setup phantoms.
Which is not a deal breaker.
BUT i dont want to rely on a phone in hand to use the phantom after its been setup.
READ AS: I dont want to hunt my phone down just to "use the speakers".

AS SUCH, i presume that's where a UPNP solution is needed? (given BT and Airplay are NOT options)

- I have tried UPNP in the past never found it to be responsive or solid and reliable as compared to an app on a PC with local content, over a physical connection. (optical or Ethernet)
Audirvana looks interesting and seems to be probably the most viable solution to start with...

BUT in this new DOS2 world...

- is there a way for me to use the current Music Bee PC->SPDIF->Dialog setup as the source without using a PHONE or Switching my music library software??

- i.e in theory could some other UPNP client be used like "spark" was to set the input as the dialog and it just streams whatever is sent to the dialog optical input to the speakers?

Thanks for any insights!

scott-
(06-Dec-2019, 02:43)scotthar Wrote: Hello, regarding to migrate from DOS1 vs DOS2 - I've read and re-read a number of the posts and the devialet migration guides and not sure DOS2 will do much for me.

I'm thinking in my case it comes down to if i want to jump to using UPNP or not???

I'm not clear how the dialog might be used in this new DOS2 world. i.e. PC -> SPDIF - DIALOG. 

is there a way to use the PC->SPDIF->Dialog as the source without using a PHONE?

For background:

The current setup is using a custom PC running Music Bee output SPDIF to dialog for stereo phantoms. (Phantoms support BT but not Airplay)
Everything is connected via Ethernet. I'm not sure if the Dialog supports Airplay or not but I dont use airplay.
Do occasionally stream directly to Phantom via BT but not often. (only for ad hoc NOT as primary)
Spark is used from the PC *only* for selecting the Dialog/Optical input and to put it in the Queue and play. (and for setup)
Volume is controlled via a combination of Music Bee feeding the dialog via spdif and the physical Phantom remote.
Spark (for android) and the music bee remote are both installed on my phone but both are rarely used in practice.
I'm not stuck on the dialog but dont want to use Optical in on the Phantom. (gear placement wise that just does not work)

Assuming in the DOS2 world
The PC app gets uninstalled and I would need to use my android phone (rather than the PC) to setup phantoms.
Which is not a deal breaker.
BUT i dont want to rely on a phone in hand to use the phantom after its been setup.
READ AS: I dont want to hunt my phone down just to "use the speakers".

AS SUCH, i presume that's where a UPNP solution is needed? (given BT and Airplay are NOT options)

- I have tried UPNP in the past never found it to be responsive or solid and reliable as compared to an app on a PC with local content, over a physical connection. (optical or Ethernet)
Audirvana looks interesting and seems to be probably the most viable solution to start with...

BUT in this new DOS2 world...

- is there a way for me to use the current Music Bee PC->SPDIF->Dialog setup as the source without using a PHONE or Switching my music library software??

- i.e in theory could some other UPNP client be used like "spark" was to set the input as the dialog and it just streams whatever is sent to the dialog optical input to the speakers?

Thanks for any insights!

scott-

I have a Mac mini connected via Ethernet and SPDIF to Dialog (Airplay Dialog, Phantoms with BT but no AirPlay). When I would start to play something from a local source it would stream to the Phantoms (SPDIF for Amarra and Ethernet for UPnP/OpenHome). You might need to use the Devialet App to switch inputs and you would certainly need it to setup the system. The volume adjustments from within any app should work as before. I tested with Amarra and it works well. I have no Remote but I assume it would work the same way as before, once connected successfully.

You might consider UPnP/OpenHome though. I switched to Bubble UPnP with Minim Server and Linn Kazoo (there is a Desktop App as well) and Lumin. In addition there is Bubble UPnP for Android. This is a free solution with no extra costs involved that also could make use of TIDAL and Qobuz. Of course Audirvana might even be better (it can do UPnP as well). 

As you are connected via Ethernet you could setup this system even without Dialog when you would switch to UPnP.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
HI Seb , thanks for the insights! this seems encouraging.

Can you tell in this DOS2 world if the Dialog 'input' (i.e. Airplay vs Optical) can be controlled via any UPNP controller.

Anyone using the Homebridge or similar volume plug-in with automation moved to DOS2 yet?
What happens? I presume its no longer working or does it still work?
-> Does the REST api on the dialog go away under DOS2 or is it still there?

regards
scott-
Hi Scott, unfortunately there is no way to control the input settings from a UPnP controller. This can only be done from the Devialet app. In practice though this is not an issue (at least for me). It is a minor inconvenience. I almost exclusively stream with UPnP/OpenHome and therefore would not need to switch inputs. And if I do have to, I use the Devialet app. It also is nice to see that the volume level with UPnP/OpenHome is in sync with the Devialet app.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
(09-Dec-2019, 01:46)seb Wrote: Hi Scott, unfortunately there is no way to control the input settings from a UPnP controller. This can only be done from the Devialet app. In practice though this is not an issue (at least for me). It is a minor inconvenience. I almost exclusively stream with UPnP/OpenHome and therefore would not need to switch inputs. And if I do have to, I use the Devialet app. It also is nice to see that the volume level with UPnP/OpenHome is in sync with the Devialet app.

Hi Seb, thanks for the info!. 

Under DOS2: Once setup and configured for the dialog / optical input do the settings stick? 
i.e. if you power cycle does the input come back up where it was left?
how often do you really need to use the Devialet app to do something, just so you can use the Phantoms?

Maybe this would be not so different from how its currently being used with SPARK (on windows), effectively trading the Windows app for a Phone app for input configuration.
I dont really use it on a regular basis, just need to use spark to et the input to the dialog and hit play occasionally.

UGG..> maybe one of the old phones lying around could be given a new life as a dedicated remote.

aside: Cant believe i am sorry to see spark go. Smile Its the devil you know vs the one you don't. 

thanks
scott-