Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
watching movies with Phantom
Hello everyone,

seeing as my Devialet care was running out, I had the glorious idea to use its last days to update my single Phantom Silver to a Phantom I. I knew I'd lose web radios and Spark, but I thought being more future-proof was worth it. I'm now debating whether that was such a bright idea.

With my Silver, I was using an Avantree Leaf USB stick that spoke aptx LL to be able to watch movies and online videos in perfect sync. Since the bluetooth connection was linked to the stick, once configured I could even plug it in another machine, laptop, etc, and use the Silver with that. Great stuff. Plus the sound quality was noticeably better. Unbeknownst to me though, the hardware changes in the new Phantom I means no more aptx, and there doesn't seem to be any replacement for that functionality either. I'm stuck.

Does anyone see an alternative to try and get Devialet to send me back an old Phantom?
Any windows-compatible wireless lag-free solutions I would have overseen? I tried to find more information on Devialet's website, but I couldn't even find a manual besides the quick setup guide  Huh Exclamation Huh

Many thanks in advance, I hope someone will have a bright idea. I even considered switching to Reactors/Phantom II, but they don't have aptx either.
I'm using the optical inputs with latency set to 60 ms, and there's no lipsync issues. Does your computer have an optical output?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(21-May-2021, 18:41)ragwo Wrote: I'm using the optical inputs with latency set to 60 ms, and there's no lipsync issues. Does your computer have an optical output?

None of the devices I use with the Phantom have toslink. Also, since I change room configurations regularly to accommodate for different uses, I'm afraid a toslink cable wouldn't last long. They are quite fragile, right?

I mean, in theory, I suppose I could get a small USB sound card with toslink out, like this one https://smile.amazon.com/-/dp/B085XPRSGM...643&sr=8-4 , then a toslink cable. What do you think?
(21-May-2021, 20:15)yepyepyep4711 Wrote:
(21-May-2021, 18:41)ragwo Wrote: I'm using the optical inputs with latency set to 60 ms, and there's no lipsync issues. Does your computer have an optical output?

None of the devices I use with the Phantom have toslink. Also, since I change room configurations regularly to accommodate for different uses, I'm afraid a toslink cable wouldn't last long. They are quite fragile, right?

I mean, in theory, I suppose I could get a small USB sound card with toslink out, like this one https://smile.amazon.com/-/dp/B085XPRSGM...643&sr=8-4 , then a toslink cable. What do you think?

Use the ARCH made by Deviale. It has a variety of input terminals and is wirelessly connected to the speaker, so you can move freely.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Zidoo z9x 미디어 플레이어 + Shield pro-> onkyo sc5530 프로세서-> rme adi2 fs (3ea)-> 광 케이블-> Devialet golds 3 (FL, FR, C) + silvers 2 (RR, RL) / 150 인치, Optoma Hoz60 .5ch.
Did they remove AptX from Phantom I?
(22-May-2021, 00:35)Lee inseok Wrote: Use the ARCH made by Deviale. It has a variety of input terminals and is wirelessly connected to the speaker, so you can move freely.

Ooh, I like this idea. I like this a lot. And this would be lag-free? Has anyone ever watched movies with this setup?
It seems they've stopped producing it though. Or just ran out of stock :/
(22-May-2021, 09:53)dmitrek Wrote: Did they remove AptX from Phantom I?

They have changed the internal hardware and it seems they are not using Qualcomm circuitry for Bluetooth anymore. Sadly, aptx is Qualcomm's proprietary technology, so it's not something we can expect to see coming back through updates. Maybe they could add a codec like LLAC/LHDC LL to the AD2P profile that is currently used. I can't speak to the actual feasibility and/or probability though.
EDIT: I couldn't find a LLAC-enabled USB-soundcard, so I guess adoption is not that wide at this point. At least it wouldn't solve the issue for me if Devialet added it.
I feel bad for taking so long, but on the off-chance of someone bumping into the same issue, here's how I found a solution. Devialet support claimed the ARCH would not solve the issue, because it has lag of its own, so I got myself a Behringer U-control UCA202. That's a soundcard that will connect to my laptop using USB and has a toslink out. Then in the Devialet app, I turned the buffering on the optical output all the way down, and voilà ! Audio is now in sync, every time, with no hassle except plugging in. It's not wireless, but I can live with that as long as it's lag-free and reliable.

Cheers