Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.1 released! - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.1 released! (/Thread-Firmware-8-1-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - salk61 - 15-Jun-2015

The sound has changed since I updated to 8.0 and later 8.1. I thought it had something to do with the cable changes that I made so I reintroduced the previous cables into the system. Still no improvement in sound quality. The problem is that the vocals in the stereo image aren't centred anymore, it's more like a diffuse sound rather than pin point sharply defined edges which was the case before. The overall volume level has also gone down. Bad update, at least in my case. Even though DSD is now supported, the sound of PCM files is much better. It's a lot of sum but no substance.
I'm going back to 7.1.3

(14-Jun-2015, 19:12)MightyMart Wrote: This constant hunt for every minuscule flaw/change in the sound due to FW upgrades etc. is in risk of moving you away from experiencing the music itself. Calm down and stop being so overly anxious. You still have access to one of the best amplifiers in the world... Just saying. [Image: smile.gif]
Sorry but I have to disagree with you there, because for most music enthusiasts the slightest difference in sound quality matters, and in 8.0/8.1 the difference is significantly for the worst. I'm going back to 7.1.1

Devialet 800, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Ayre C5XE mp, Aurender X100s, crystal cable and Shunyata

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - flyer - 15-Jun-2015

(15-Jun-2015, 04:35)salk61 Wrote: The overall volume level has also gone down. Bad update, at least in my case. Even though DSD is now supported, the sound of PCM files is much better. It's a lot of sum but no substance.
I'm going back to 7.1.3
I thought that was my impression but I can absolutely confirmed that the overall volume level has gone down!

(15-Jun-2015, 04:53)salk61 Wrote:
(14-Jun-2015, 19:12)MightyMart Wrote: I'm going back to 7.1.1

Devialet 800, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Ayre C5XE mp, Aurender X100s, crystal cable and Shunyata

That was my quickest revert to 7.1.1 also.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - miro - 15-Jun-2015

(15-Jun-2015, 04:35)salk61 Wrote: The sound has changed since I updated to 8.0 and later 8.1. I thought it had something to do with the cable changes that I made so I reintroduced the previous cables into the system. Still no improvement in sound quality. The problem is that the vocals in the stereo image aren't centred anymore, it's more like a diffuse sound rather than pin point sharply defined edges which was the case before. The overall volume level has also gone down. Bad update, at least in my case. Even though DSD is now supported, the sound of PCM files is much better. It's a lot of sum but no substance.
I'm going back to 7.1.3

Is it possible to still download firmware 7.1.3 and to make configuration files for it, and how?

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - mobaer - 15-Jun-2015

(14-Jun-2015, 19:12)MightyMart Wrote: This constant hunt for every minuscule flaw/change in the sound due to FW upgrades etc. is in risk of moving you away from experiencing the music itself. Calm down and stop being so overly anxious. You still have access to one of the best amplifiers in the world... Just saying. [Image: smile.gif]
Sorry but I have to disagree with you there, because for most music enthusiasts the slightest difference in sound quality matters, and in 8.0/8.1 the difference is significantly for the worst. I'm going back to 7.1.1

I don't think you're allowed to speak for "most music enthusiasts".
1) Be aware that you express here your personal thoughts about the SQ of the firmware versions. I respect your opinion, but I have a different view.
2) The group of "music enthusiasts" is not identical to the group of "hifi enthusiasts". There is of course an overlap, but not all music enthusiasts are hifi enthusiasts and vice versa.

/Christian

(15-Jun-2015, 07:37)mobaer Wrote:

1) Be aware that you express here your personal thoughts about the SQ of the firmware versions. I respect your opinion, but I have a different view.
2) The group of "music enthusiasts" is not identical to the group of "hifi enthusiasts". There is of course an overlap, but not all music enthusiasts are hifi enthusiasts and vice versa.

/Christian

I don't think I need your permission or for that matter anybody else's. This isn't a copy right infringement and I'm talking about a predilection of music listeners, not making a judgement call. You may have your views but I'm not talking about sound quality, I'm talking about a sound aberration which you may not be able to hear in your particular system. As for your comment about music/hifi enthusiasts, that's talking semantics and you're making absolutely no sense with this

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Eddye - 15-Jun-2015

/Christian

Great points, Christian. Couldn't agree more.

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - NickB - 15-Jun-2015

(13-Jun-2015, 23:26)superstock Wrote: I had speakers on separate circuits and putting them on the the same circuit has solved my problem of dropouts and weird problems of losing music on one Phantom from the optical input on another pair.

I thought I was going bonkers and couldn't pin it down for a while. It also affect installation and Phantom recognition/stability during setup. I now need this sorted as I want my Phantoms working throughout the house on different power circuits. It could be a problem though, as I have had problems with data crossing the switch board when using regular PLN adapters (no longer using these).

The Devialet website say that there are 3 WiFi and one power line network. I can only see 2 WiFi Dialog networks not 3. One 2.4Ghz and the other 5Ghz. Anyone know if there are 3 and whether one is hidden.?.. My Netspot app only picks up 2.

I have heard that that the PLN is used for devices to communicate with each other. Is this for Phantoms or Phantons and Dialog?

In Devialets credit they have been good in responding to my questions and are very helpful, but i haven't signed up to be a beta tester.

(15-Jun-2015, 07:48)salk61 Wrote:

/Christian

I don't think I need your permission or for that matter anybody else's. This isn't a copy right infringement and I'm talking about a predilection of music listeners, not making a judgement call. You may have your views but I'm not talking about sound quality, I'm talking about a sound aberration which you may not be able to hear in your particular system. As for your comment about music/hifi enthusiasts, that's talking semantics and you're making absolutely no sense with this

Of course he is making sense. There seem to be a set of people who listen to every change in their system with test pieces and special bits of music and others who just like to listen to music in the best way they can.

There will always be some for whom the delivery method is more important than the delivery.

(15-Jun-2015, 08:08)NickB Wrote:
(13-Jun-2015, 23:26)superstock Wrote: I had speakers on separate circuits and putting them on the the same circuit has solved my problem of dropouts and weird problems of losing music on one Phantom from the optical input on another pair.

I thought I was going bonkers and couldn't pin it down for a while. It also affect installation and Phantom recognition/stability during setup. I now need this sorted as I want my Phantoms working throughout the house on different power circuits. It could be a problem though, as I have had problems with data crossing the switch board when using regular PLN adapters (no longer using these).

The Devialet website say that there are 3 WiFi and one power line network. I can only see 2 WiFi Dialog networks not 3. One 2.4Ghz and the other 5Ghz. Anyone know if there are 3 and whether one is hidden.?.. My Netspot app only picks up 2.

I have heard that that the PLN is used for devices to communicate with each other. Is this for Phantoms or Phantons and Dialog?

In Devialets credit they have been good in responding to my questions and are very helpful, but i haven't signed up to be a beta tester.

(15-Jun-2015, 07:48)salk61 Wrote:

/Christian

Of course he is making sense. There seem to be a set of people who listen to every change in their system with test pieces and special bits of music and others who just like to listen to music in the best way they can.

There will always be some for whom the delivery method is more important than the delivery.

Now you're the one not making sense and I can see why you're agreeing with him, music is more about enjoying it, the end result is that you should enjoy it, whatever the delivery method or equipment. Since when did it start about being equipment than music, if you're focusing on equipment then that's what you love, not the music

RE: Firmware 8.1 released! - Floyd67 - 15-Jun-2015

I think the word audiophile sums it up. For me Hi-Fi is a means to an end. I am only interested in the music and the way music is presented/reproduced that suits my own personal taste. The quality of the source file, being in my view, the most important piece in the entire chain. I have 24bit recordings that sound great and others that don't. I have 16bit CD rips that sound better than the CD version. I have vinyl that sounds better than 24bit and vice versa. I digress. While there is such a diverse range of production tools and technologies and no industry standard (which is unlikely) not to mention the multitude of other variables of home audio, there will always be variations in music replay. After all we're all unique human beings with different ears and tastes.