Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Firmware 8.1 released!
(14-Jun-2015, 09:00)hahe Wrote: Which Source did you use for the comparison - as mentioned in an earlier post 8.1 via USB sounds pretty similar to 7.3 via Ethernet whereas 8.1 via Ethernet is not as good as the other two options in my chain. Did anybody else have the same finding ?

8.1 from my W4S Server, via USB, sounds pretty good to me in my system - I also like the RAM facility for Phono. Not really played with the DPM Power Management System so can't say whether there is a difference with it On or OFF - currently have it ON. As it sounds fine to me I can't be "faffed" with the continuous swapping between 7.3.1 and 8.1, and the changes to the configuration also required Smile. I also like the fact that I can also use my DSD 64 downloads with 8.1.

My own take on all this, is that any changes to the Dev FW will always end in a debate over SQ, and there will always be a split view depending on personal taste, equipment used, and the environment in which the music is played. To me life's too short, so I just pour another whiskey, lay back and enjoy the music Wink.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(14-Jun-2015, 09:00)hahe Wrote: Which Source did you use for the comparison - as mentioned in an earlier post 8.1 via USB sounds pretty similar to 7.3 via Ethernet whereas 8.1 via Ethernet is not as good as the other two options in my chain. Did anybody else have the same finding ?

AES/EBU input from Mind 180 played directly from the NAS, and also via PC using Jriver.
Roon Lifetime, HQPlayer with Acourate RC,Devialet 220 Pro,Synology NAS,AcourateNAS, MinimServer,Moon Mind 180 AES/EBU currently w. Canare Cable,W7 PC JRiver 20, AcouratePro, 15' Belkin USB. Linn LP12,Cetech,OL1,Denon 103R,VAF Signature i66 Mk.11,VAF Gravitas SW
(13-Jun-2015, 12:13)imprezap2 Wrote: not happy with 8.1, too much "boomy" mid bass, tried to go back to 8.0 but now I can only use factory configuration.
Whatever I do in the configurator and save on one of the two SD cards I have I get the message old config file.

I can confirm "boomy" mid bass on 8.1.0
Currently I'm testing new speaker cables that I took to see if I hear difference, and this cables significantly doing difference in the low and mid, so I thought maybe it's cables to blame for the boomy and over bass, but after reading Riddo's post of firmware comparison I thought to switch to 7.1.3 and see is there any difference.
And what a surprise , much more pleasant and no boomy system.
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
Today I tried the new version.
For me that I don't have SAMed speakers it seems that they fixed the bass section but they messed up everything else.Sound is not anymore hi-end but just hi-fi.
Anyway I reverted back quickly as I didn't like it at all SQ wise and I don't want it "French fried" like it happened to some folks here.
Smile 
This constant hunt for every minuscule flaw/change in the sound due to FW upgrades etc. is in risk of moving you away from experiencing the music itself. Calm down and stop being so overly anxious. You still have access to one of the best amplifiers in the world... Just saying. [Image: smile.gif]
Devialet Expert 1000 Pro CI / Magico A1 / ROON Nucleus w Farad Super 3 / Innuos Phoenix NET / Torus RM 16 / Acrolink Mexcel 7N-S 9000
Wireworld digital and power cables / Harmonix tuning feet / SMT acoustic 
treatment
- SWEDEN -
you are absolutely right. All firmware versions maybe sound a little bit different, but not night and day. I could live with 7.11, 7.13, 8.0 and 8.1. There is no boomy bass or whatever with 8.1.
On the other hand SAM has changed, and in fact I currently prefer to switch SAM off. With SAM the sound gets a little bit artificial and harsh sometimes. I also noticed that having a pre out with a high or low pass seems to degrade SQ for the mains. Maybe someone else can verify this. I get the best sound with pre out set to full range and SAM off. Not sure if that is a new behaviour or if that was also happening with 7.1 or if I simply hear wrong...
(14-Jun-2015, 19:12)MightyMart Wrote: This constant hunt for every minuscule flaw/change in the sound due to FW upgrades etc. is in risk of moving you away from experiencing the music itself. Calm down and stop being so overly anxious. You still have access to one of the best amplifiers in the world... Just saying. [Image: smile.gif]

+1
I am not able to relate to the allegedly big differences in SQ. I am not even sure if the subtile differences I hear are real or just imagination. I am aware, that this may depend on the system, e.g. speakers, using SAM, etc.
All I can say is that the product is improving with each version at least in terms of features.
Mac Mini - HQPlayer 4 - USB - D1000 - Gauder Akustik Cassiano
Isolated cables made from conductive material
I upgraded to Firmware v8.1.0 and rebuilt my configuration. All went well.

I've been listening to my system for about 2 hours now, using various sources and at various volume levels with no issues at all. I can't hear a difference from v8.0.0 but I've experienced no ill-effects or issues at all with Firmware v8.0.1.

So far, I'm very pleased with the upgrade!
(14-Jun-2015, 19:12)MightyMart Wrote: This constant hunt for every minuscule flaw/change in the sound due to FW upgrades etc. is in risk of moving you away from experiencing the music itself. Calm down and stop being so overly anxious. You still have access to one of the best amplifiers in the world... Just saying. [Image: smile.gif]

I couldn't agree more.That's why I try to enjoy it by listening to my favorite music than to uploading firmwares to the machine and guessing by trial and error
or simply guessing what effect in SQ every setting in the configurator could have because the folks at Devialet they don't let us know.
For those getting night/day type dramatic differences I'd recommend a re-load, with a clean SD card... take the time to do it right, start from scratch! Personally for me trying to distinguish the SQ difference between 7.1.2, 7.1.3 and 8.1.0 is akin to picking fly poop out of black pepper. There "may" be a difference but its insignificant to me and not worth my bothering. Save for the enhanced feature-set of each subsequent upgrade I could listen to any 7.X-8.1 FW SQ-wise and be happy for life. The only temporary SQ setback I suffered with 8.1 is probably (Thanks J-M!) the SAM V1-to-V2 upgrade which several have commented on and resulted in me and them backing off the bass setting by a factor of just at or over 50%. Other people's SAM setting experience remained unchanged with the upgrade and still others eliminated SAM in 8.1 and are quite happy. Beyond SAM or a corrupt 8.1 FW upgrade I struggle with finding any reason not mentioned above for a dramatically bad 8.1 SQ upgrade experience.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!