Devialet Chat
totaldac D1 server - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: totaldac D1 server (/Thread-totaldac-D1-server)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: totaldac D1 server - bmichels - 17-Feb-2015

Those problems you have to make QOBUZ-TIDAL work is concerning me. I will buy a D1-Tube (mk2) DAC for sure, but... I am still hesitating if I take the TotalDac SERVER or go for the ARIES or AURENDER, which booth seems to have a much better TIDAL (and QOBUZ for the Aries) Integration !

Plus, knowing that the firmware that allow streaming with iPeng offer a LESS GOOD sound that the firmware for localy stored files playing only, is quite embarassing (and there is NO WAY I will change firmware each time I want to go to Qobuz, and change back Firmware when I want to play localy stored files !).

Indeed I am instead looking for a "super integration" of the Streaming option into the Music server application: Ideally I would like to be able to built a playlist that include a mix of locally stored files and of Music streamed from Qobuz/tidal. This will be a REAL integration sof the Streaming function ! I am dreaming ? (I understood that the McIntosh MB100 music server/streamer does this !!)

RE: totaldac D1 server - GuillaumeB - 19-Feb-2015

(17-Feb-2015, 21:53)bmichels Wrote: Those problems you have to make QOBUZ-TIDAL work is concerning me.  I will buy a D1-Tube (mk2) DAC for sure, but... I am still hesitating if I take the TotalDac SERVER or go for the ARIES or AURENDER, which booth seems to have a much better TIDAL (and QOBUZ for the Aries) Integration !

Plus, knowing that the firmware that allow streaming with iPeng offer a LESS GOOD sound that the firmware for localy stored files playing only, is quite embarassing (and there is NO WAY I will change firmware each time I want to go to Qobuz, and change back Firmware when I want to play localy stored files !).  

Indeed I am instead looking for a "super integration" of the Streaming option into the Music server application:  Ideally I would like to be able to built a playlist that include a mix of locally stored files and of Music streamed from Qobuz/tidal.  This will be a REAL integration sof the Streaming function !  I am dreaming ? (I understood that the McIntosh MB100 music server/streamer does this !!)

I wouldn't necessarily call them problems... I am pretty hopeless at setting these things up! I'll try and have another go soon. In truth I don't really care much for streaming at the moment, preferring to play mostly HD FLACs stored on my NAS. 

Regarding firmware and SQ, there are several versions and they are all very good. The MPD-only (without pre-loading) just seems to take things to another stratospheric level! I was perfectly happy with the previous versions which we incidentally used in our tests against AIR, the Aries, MiND 180 etc. Even with the older software it was substantially better than anything else I tried. I'm sure Rufus will back me up on this.

Regarding the type of integration you are talking about I can't really comment as I haven't even tried it yet! But yes, that would be ideal!

Last but not least I imagine there is very tight integration between the d1 server and the Dual DAC (or whichever totaldac DAC model you go for). I've read elsewhere that the d1 server really elevates the performance of the totaldac DACs, probably on account of its powerful reclocking and low noise environment.

Hope that helps  Smile

Guillaume

RE: totaldac D1 server - bmichels - 19-Feb-2015

(19-Feb-2015, 17:02)GuillaumeB Wrote: ... The MPD-only (without pre-loading) just seems to take things to another stratospheric level! I was perfectly happy with the previous versions which we incidentally used in our tests against AIR, the Aries, MiND 180 etc. ....

Thank you very much Guillaume for your answers.

Could you summaries for me the outcome of your tests of TotalDAC Server v/s ARIES v/s Aurender ? was there a clear winner in term of sound quality ? and in term of player usability ?

thanks

RE: totaldac D1 server - GuillaumeB - 19-Feb-2015

(19-Feb-2015, 19:17)bmichels Wrote:
(19-Feb-2015, 17:02)GuillaumeB Wrote: ... The MPD-only (without pre-loading) just seems to take things to another stratospheric level! I was perfectly happy with the previous versions which we incidentally used in our tests against AIR, the Aries, MiND 180 etc. ....

Thank you very much Guillaume for your answers.  

Could you summaries for me the outcome of your tests of TotalDAC Server v/s ARIES v/s Aurender ?  was there a clear winner in term of sound quality ?  and in term of player usability ?

thanks

I never tried the Aurender but many on here really rate it.

You can read the comparison in more detail here:

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Mac-AIR-v-MiND-180-v-Auralic-ARIES-v-totaldac-d1-server

In short the totaldac d1 was the clear winner. 

Hoping to do more comparisons in a few weeks' time with the 3D Labs Nano Transport and the Melco N1A.

Guillaume

RE: totaldac D1 server - fabiodeluca - 20-Feb-2015

Hi

I'm a new member of the forum.

I'm greatly interested in the iPeng/ICKstream/Tidal discussion going on here

I'm not a Devialet owner but I'm a Totaldac d1 server-d1 dual dac owner

I'm desperately trying to stream Tidal music: many hour trying....no result

I activated a Tidal free trial
I purchased iPeng and installed it on my iPad
IPeng recognized my Totaldac server (with the proper disk image provided by Mr. Brient)
Then the nightmare started....

Impossible to see the Tidal icon. So I read hundreds of web pages to understand that I need this ICKstream in order to have Tidal streaming music. I found ICKstream icon under MyApp in iPeng but when I selected it a message popped up saying that I have to sign up in ICKstream plug in LMS web interface (?!)

After hundreds of pages of reading more, I was able to enter Logitech Media Server (ahhhhh) web interface on my MacBook Pro after installing LMS software (impossible on iPad)
After two hours I was able to install the plug in for ICKstream in LMS (what the hell...looks like a treasure hunt!!) and logged in with Tidal credentials.
I hoped that now I was able to use ICKstream and Tidal services from iPeng....but nothing...the same message popped up....

I have the Totaldac d1 server connected to a dedicated Belkin router which I connected to the Internet with an Ethernet cable connected to my usual ADSL modem router....

I'm going crazy!

Hopefully experiences here on the forum will help me

Regards
Fabio

RE: totaldac D1 server - GuillaumeB - 20-Feb-2015

(20-Feb-2015, 17:16)fabiodeluca Wrote: Hi

IPeng recognized my Totaldac server (with the proper disk image provided by Mr. Brient)

Impossible to see the Tidal icon. So I read hundreds of web pages to understand that I need this ICKstream in order to have Tidal streaming music. I found ICKstream icon under MyApp in iPeng but when I selected it a message popped up saying that I have to sign up in ICKstream plug in LMS web interface (?!)

After hundreds of pages of reading more, I was able to enter Logitech Media Server (ahhhhh) web interface on my MacBook Pro after installing LMS software (impossible on iPad)
After two hours I was able to install the plug in for ICKstream in LMS (what the hell...looks like a treasure hunt!!) and logged in with Tidal credentials.
I hoped that now I was able to use ICKstream and Tidal services from iPeng....but nothing...the same message popped up....

I have the Totaldac d1 server connected to a dedicated Belkin router which I connected to the Internet with an Ethernet cable connected to my usual ADSL modem router....

I'm going crazy!

Regards
Fabio

Hi Fabio, welcome to Devialet Chat!

I've asked Vincent for a step by step guide as I also found this terribly complicated! He has promised me something with screenshots.

Will post an update as soon as I know more.

Guillaume

RE: totaldac D1 server - bmichels - 20-Feb-2015

(20-Feb-2015, 17:22)GuillaumeB Wrote:

I'm going crazy!

Regards
Fabio

I've asked Vincent for a step by step guide as I also found this terribly complicated! He has promised me something with screenshots.

Guillaume

all this is not very reasuring....since I also want to buy TotalDAC Server and I WANT ti be able to strealm Tidal.Qibuz with it !

If it is really too complicated for normal human being, I will but an Aurender or ARIES (mays be with a TotalDAC reclocker Tongue )

RE: totaldac D1 server - GuillaumeB - 20-Feb-2015

(20-Feb-2015, 19:31)bmichels Wrote:
(20-Feb-2015, 17:22)GuillaumeB Wrote:

I'm going crazy!

Regards
Fabio

Guillaume

all this is not very reasuring....since I also want to buy TotalDAC Server and I WANT ti be able to strealm Tidal.Qibuz with it !

If it is really too complicated for normal human being, I will but an Aurender or ARIES (mays be with a TotalDAC reclocker  Tongue )

That's an awful lot of boxes and power supplies though! Not to mention cables! Tongue Still I bet it would sound good.

Anyway I've told Vincent we need a guide and he is working on it. I think one of the difficulties has been that he can't get Tidal in France...

Anyway there are other options... the TotalDac d1 server is also UPnP (with the relevant firmware) and that means we should be able to install BubbleUPNP server on the NAS (in my case a QNAP). This acts a proxy & will provide Openhome functionality meaning we can use a Linn Kazoo CP which has Tidal completely integrated!  Big Grin

Thanks to Rufus for thinking of this! I might try it out this weekend!  Smile

Guillaume

RE: totaldac D1 server - ogs - 20-Feb-2015

(20-Feb-2015, 19:31)bmichels Wrote: all this is not very reasuring....since I also want to buy TotalDAC Server and I WANT ti be able to strealm Tidal.Qibuz with it !

If it is really too complicated for normal human being, I will but an Aurender or ARIES (mays be with a TotalDAC reclocker  Tongue )

I'd love it if someone could report on how the Totaldac reclocker improves the Aries. At the moment this is one of the most interesting combinations considering the feature set of the Aries. And if Auralic can make up their minds on which room correction they will support in the Aries it may become even more interesting.

RE: totaldac D1 server - bmichels - 20-Feb-2015

This UPnP option seems even more complicated to me ! worse than iPeng !

As for TIDAL in France, this is not a problem: I am in France and I just had to use a VPN once to register (pretending I am in UK or US) and then I do not need to use the VPN anymore once I have received my Login.