Devialet Chat
Core Infinity board - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Core Infinity board (/Thread-Core-Infinity-board)

RE: Core Infinity board - watchnerd - 25-Oct-2017

(25-Oct-2017, 09:31)thumb5 Wrote:
(25-Oct-2017, 09:09)watchnerd Wrote:
(25-Oct-2017, 07:28)petrik Wrote: ...

Then I started thinking that what if the new models could be  configured directly, without needing to use the online Configurator anymore. That would be awesome, wouldn't it?

That would be awesome, and trivially easy to implement.

And, yet, Devialet has never mentioned or even hinted at such a feature, to my knowledge...

"Trivially easy"?  How did you arrive at that estimation?  Very little that people casually describe as a "trivial" software development is truly trivial when it applies to anything other than a personal project, even less so for an embedded system.  Bearing in mind the effort for proper specification, testing, quality control, configuration management, ... the list goes on.

That said, of course it would be really useful and is something I would very much like to see Devialet implement (see https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=591).  I'm not holding my breath as I expect it's not very high on their list of priorities.

Because it has a Linux OS. Implementing a web server that writes to the existing SD storage file should be trivial.

RE: Core Infinity board - thumb5 - 25-Oct-2017

All I can say is, based on my experience, simply having a Linux OS won't in itself make it trivial to implement the configurator on board.

(25-Oct-2017, 09:55)thumb5 Wrote: All I can say is, based on my experience, simply having a Linux OS won't in itself make it trivial to implement the configurator on board.

It really should be.

Even cheap home wifi routers have built-in web servers with I/O capabilities for configuration storage.

It certainly isn't in the category of 'hard'. It's a solved problem.

RE: Core Infinity board - Rufus McDufus - 25-Oct-2017

I would argue it might well be easier to implement a webserver on the CI board and have a config page than integrating it with the current configurator and ensuring both CI and non-CI systems comply with the configurator.

(25-Oct-2017, 10:00)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I would argue it might well be easier to implement a webserver on the CI board and have a config page than integrating it with the current configurator and ensuring both CI and non-CI systems comply with the configurator.

Very good point.

(25-Oct-2017, 09:58)watchnerd Wrote:
(25-Oct-2017, 09:55)thumb5 Wrote: All I can say is, based on my experience, simply having a Linux OS won't in itself make it trivial to implement the configurator on board.

It really should be.

Even cheap home wifi routers have built-in web servers with I/O capabilities for configuration storage.

It certainly isn't in the category of 'hard'.  It's a solved problem.

I didn't say it was technically hard; on the contrary I agree there are no "interesting" problems to solve.  What I'm getting at is that even if it is technically straightforward it still is not a trivial exercise to implement this in a production-quality system, if by trivial you meant requiring virtually no effort (which is the normal interpretation).

RE: Core Infinity board - Rufus McDufus - 25-Oct-2017

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the SD card reader - will it be used to store the config still? There could still be a use for portable configs for Pros which aren't net-connected, though I'm guessing it may be practical to also to store it 'in the cloud' at devialet.com.

(25-Oct-2017, 10:05)thumb5 Wrote:
(25-Oct-2017, 09:58)watchnerd Wrote:

It really should be.

It certainly isn't in the category of 'hard'.  It's a solved problem.

I didn't say it was technically hard; on the contrary I agree there are no "interesting" problems to solve.  What I'm getting at is that even if it is technically straightforward it still is not a trivial exercise to implement this in a production-quality system, if by trivial you meant requiring virtually no effort (which is the normal interpretation).

I'm using the engineering definition of trivial, i.e. not technically hard.

In that case it might be true but it doesn't have much bearing on what's required to actually get the job done Smile

(25-Oct-2017, 10:13)Rufus McDufus Wrote: It'll be interesting to see what they do with the SD card reader - will it be used to store the config still? There could still be a use for portable configs for Pros which aren't net-connected, though I'm guessing it may be practical to also to store it 'in the cloud' at devialet.com.

Maybe nothing? The CI has 1 GB of flash storage already.