Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stand-alone/self-hosted configuration
With my Cassandra head on a few days ago, I started wondering what might happen if for some reason Devialet ceased to be.

I should stress that I had no particular reason to start thinking along those lines!

We have become used to fairly regular firmware updates bringing new functionality. If those stopped, we'd still have amplifiers than were more capable than on the day we bought them. So lack of further updates would not be a problem.

However, at the moment the only way we can change the configuration of these amplifiers is by using the configurator hosted on Devialet's web site. If that were no longer available, it would be a real problem.

So I think it is very important for Devialet to provide a means for us to configure the amplifiers without needing to access any infrastructure they provide. I can think of a few options:

1. Devialet build a web server into the amplifiers so that they can run the existing configurator (or something similar) and save directly to the installed SD card
  2. Devialet host the existing web-based configurator on a third-party site
  3. Devialet develop a configurator that can be downloaded and run on the user's desktop machine
  4. Devialet specify the format of the configuration file and the effect of each parameter so that third-party (open source?) configurators can be developed
I'm sure there are more options that I haven't thought of.

What do you think?

I'm going to send a support request to Devialet to ask them to consider this...and will add their reply here.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Oh Mr Thumb! How I love they way you're thinking here! I am just imagining my own correspondence to Devialet, which would be something along the lines of, "Assuming Devialet go bankrupt following the failure of the Phantom project, how will I then be able to adjust the my cartridge settings without the use of your Configurator website?" Thinking about it, I can rarely get the configurator to work properly anyway since going dual mono!
Quote:With my Cassandra head on a few days ago, I started wondering what might happen if for some reason Devialet ceased to be.

Oh Boy, what a grim thought ! Smile but it is plausible

and your suggestions are more than valid

Quote:Oh Mr Thumb! How I love they way you're thinking here! I am just imagining my own correspondence to Devialet, which would be something along the lines of, "Assuming Devialet go bankrupt following the failure of the Phantom project, how will I then be able to adjust the my cartridge settings without the use of your Configurator website?" Thinking about it, I can rarely get the configurator to work properly anyway since going dual mono!

Confused, i just wanna see the reaction on the faces of Devialet guys as they read your email if you send it along these lines Smile priceless i guess
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
A configurator (that works) that I can use at home would be handy.

I don't play around with it any more since I have had a config which works acceptably for a few months, and reports of non-working configs on dual mono units put me off.

It has been like this since the launch of the on line configurator btw, far more problems with dual D-Premier configs than single. Mind you it was quite exciting to get the on line configurator rather than requesting a config and having it emailed, like originally.

Doesn't bother me if there are no more firmware updates. None of the amps I had previously had them, and I didn't miss it Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Sad 
The guy who put his money behind Devialet also owns Hennessey Cognac; If they go bankrupt I will be doubly devastated.Sad
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(21-Dec-2014, 17:10)Pim van Vliet Wrote: The guy who put his money behind Devialet also owns Hennessey Cognac; If they go bankrupt I will be doubly devastated.Sad

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
(21-Dec-2014, 19:14)amabrok Wrote:
(21-Dec-2014, 17:10)Pim van Vliet Wrote: The guy who put his money behind Devialet also owns Hennessey Cognac; If they go bankrupt I will be doubly devastated.Sad

TongueTongueTongue:Tongue
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(21-Dec-2014, 19:24)brit Wrote:

There are other Cognacs - but only one Devialet

(Good advertising strap line - I should sell it to them)
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(21-Dec-2014, 21:13)IanG-UK Wrote:

:

Spot on!

Dubai, UAE
(21-Dec-2014, 21:13)IanG-UK Wrote:

I have to say I love my Devialet but when it comes to being closest to perfection I'll take Hennessy XO over Devialet. The first time I tasted that stuff I was blown away. My quest therefore will be to get my Devialet / C1 setup to be as satisfying as my favourite drink. Oooh life would be good:roll eyes:
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.