Devialet Chat
Williams - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Williams (/Thread-Williams)

Pages: 1 2 3

Williams - agentsmith - 11-Aug-2020

Just finished watching the documentary about F1 legend Frank Williams on Netflix.  A very touching documentary of the legendary Williams team owner who never quit despite his terrible accident which disabled most of his body.

Being a runner I was surprised to learn that he he was an avid runner who ran 12 miles a day and used to run every F1 track he attended.  Being crippled must have been devastating, although he refused to show any grief and went right on running the then winning Williams team.

I also found from attached photos that his mechanic/close friend Frank Dernie was a music lover who encouraged Frank Williams to listen to Bach while recovering from his terrible accident.  The scene showing William running healthy while playing St. Matthew passion was epic.

Of note also is that Frank Dernie was obviously an audiophile, with Devialet D1000 and Goldmund in the background.  Not sure if Frank is a member of this thread, if not it would be interesting to have him here.

This is a touching documentary highly recommended for any F1 fan.

RE: Williams - Pim - 11-Aug-2020

@f1eng ?

RE: Williams - agentsmith - 11-Aug-2020

(11-Aug-2020, 03:56)Pim Wrote: @f1eng ?

OMG yes, 99% it is him. Same equipment as in the picture!

RE: Williams - K4680 - 11-Aug-2020

Probably!

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?members/frank-dernie.70/

Same Avatar!

RE: Williams - Confused - 11-Aug-2020

Common guys ….

The OP states: "mechanic/close friend". That would make our own f1eng "f1mech", not quite the same thing at all … (not that there is anything wrong with being an F1 mechanic, in fact, I would have quite liked to have been one myself, but instead I found myself having a career in Engineering)

Surely some mistake here?

By the way, I am sure that the gentleman pictured above has visited one or two events at OAC, he seemed to be a very friendly kind of chap, and very knowledgeable.

RE: Williams - K4680 - 11-Aug-2020

(11-Aug-2020, 07:38)Confused Wrote: Common guys ….

The OP states: "mechanic/close friend".  That would make our own f1eng "f1mech", not quite the same thing at all …  (not that there is anything wrong with being an F1 mechanic, in fact, I would have quite liked to have been one myself, but instead I found myself having a career in Engineering)

Surely some mistake here?

By the way, I am sure that the gentleman pictured above has visited one or two events at OAC, he seemed to be a very friendly kind of chap, and very knowledgeable.

Devialet users are really nice people! My personal experience! Rolleyes

RE: Williams - Axel - 11-Aug-2020

This is "our" Frank. @f1eng.
I watched this documentary about a year ago, knew that Frank worked for Williams, and firstly spotted some large horns and modular speakers in the background and thought it might be @f1eng. Later in the program I saw the Devialet and Goldmund amps checked out @f1eng’s signature. and this confirmed it. Who else could it be?!
Sorry to "out" you, Frank. Nice jumper, by the way!

RE: Williams - agentsmith - 11-Aug-2020

Apologies I used the word "mechanic" carelessly, I am sure he is an engineer and a great one being an F1 engineer!

Also I hope Frank himself does not mind me invading his privacy. If he does we may want to delete this thread?

RE: Williams - Zappydev - 11-Aug-2020

(11-Aug-2020, 13:20)agentsmith Wrote: Apologies I used the word "mechanic" carelessly,  I am sure he is an engineer and a great one being an F1 engineer!

Also I hope Frank himself does not mind me invading his privacy.  If he does we may want to delete this thread?

What was the title of the Netflix program ? It sounds very interesting, but I couldn’t find it.

RE: Williams - f1eng - 11-Aug-2020

Yes, it is me.
Smile