Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williams
Just finished watching the documentary about F1 legend Frank Williams on Netflix.  A very touching documentary of the legendary Williams team owner who never quit despite his terrible accident which disabled most of his body.

Being a runner I was surprised to learn that he he was an avid runner who ran 12 miles a day and used to run every F1 track he attended.  Being crippled must have been devastating, although he refused to show any grief and went right on running the then winning Williams team.

I also found from attached photos that his mechanic/close friend Frank Dernie was a music lover who encouraged Frank Williams to listen to Bach while recovering from his terrible accident.  The scene showing William running healthy while playing St. Matthew passion was epic.

Of note also is that Frank Dernie was obviously an audiophile, with Devialet D1000 and Goldmund in the background.  Not sure if Frank is a member of this thread, if not it would be interesting to have him here.

This is a touching documentary highly recommended for any F1 fan.

Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

@f1eng ?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(11-Aug-2020, 03:56)Pim Wrote: @f1eng ?

OMG yes, 99% it is him. Same equipment as in the picture!
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Probably!

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum...dernie.70/

Same Avatar!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Common guys ….

The OP states: "mechanic/close friend". That would make our own f1eng "f1mech", not quite the same thing at all … (not that there is anything wrong with being an F1 mechanic, in fact, I would have quite liked to have been one myself, but instead I found myself having a career in Engineering)

Surely some mistake here?

By the way, I am sure that the gentleman pictured above has visited one or two events at OAC, he seemed to be a very friendly kind of chap, and very knowledgeable.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(11-Aug-2020, 07:38)Confused Wrote: Common guys ….

The OP states: "mechanic/close friend".  That would make our own f1eng "f1mech", not quite the same thing at all …  (not that there is anything wrong with being an F1 mechanic, in fact, I would have quite liked to have been one myself, but instead I found myself having a career in Engineering)

Surely some mistake here?

By the way, I am sure that the gentleman pictured above has visited one or two events at OAC, he seemed to be a very friendly kind of chap, and very knowledgeable.

Devialet users are really nice people! My personal experience! Rolleyes
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
This is "our" Frank. @f1eng.
I watched this documentary about a year ago, knew that Frank worked for Williams, and firstly spotted some large horns and modular speakers in the background and thought it might be @f1eng. Later in the program I saw the Devialet and Goldmund amps checked out @f1eng’s signature. and this confirmed it. Who else could it be?!
Sorry to "out" you, Frank. Nice jumper, by the way!
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Apologies I used the word "mechanic" carelessly, I am sure he is an engineer and a great one being an F1 engineer!

Also I hope Frank himself does not mind me invading his privacy. If he does we may want to delete this thread?

(11-Aug-2020, 13:20)agentsmith Wrote: Apologies I used the word "mechanic" carelessly,  I am sure he is an engineer and a great one being an F1 engineer!

Also I hope Frank himself does not mind me invading his privacy.  If he does we may want to delete this thread?

What was the title of the Netflix program ? It sounds very interesting, but I couldn’t find it.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Yes, it is me.
Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire