Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
(08-Mar-2016, 21:06)Antoine Wrote: The Devialet is not an integrated class A pre-amp and class-D power-amp. Common misconception.

True, but I didn't assume this.  What I understand is that the class A component of the d'Atlier has been revamped (as has other things) so I expect it to be better as a pre-amp than the other Devialet products.  Same goes for the class d component of the unit.  So my question still stands:  has anyone used it as a pre amp and does it out-perform over other Devialet units operating as a pre amp?
Then I ask what does the upgraded class A component have to do with the pre-amp functionality?

Personally I think the Devialet is great only as a whole because of ADH. The DAC on it's own is nothing special and it's functionality is aged. Same goes for it's ethernet and USB inputs. The ethernet/WiFI inputs actually are quite worthless today because of the widespread issues with AIR. It's USB input, though better sounding than ethernet/WiFi when a good source is used, is bettered by it's conventional digital inputs. At least this has been my experience.

If one can find a better power amp I'm sure you could also find a better pre-amp and DAC to go with it.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(05-Mar-2016, 18:51)JRIGGS Wrote:
(09-Jan-2016, 17:59)IanG-UK Wrote:
(09-Jan-2016, 16:55)warpeon Wrote: Jealous!! Mind sharing which model of the aq power cord it came with? How good of a pairing is aq with the d?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It comes with two Audioquest NRG power cables; one Audioquest Carbon RCA/RCA master/companion link; one Audioquest Sydney cable which I guess is the trigger connection. I've not used any of these as my existing cables are somewhat plumbed in and I decided not to experiment.

The Od'A comes with firmware 9.0.1 pre-installed so I am using that for the first time too, having previously stuck with 7.1.3 and an old config file.

I'm resisting commenting on sound quality in view of the largely inaccessible nature of the changes, given that the Od'A is pretty well sold out. It is to be hoped that new 800s get some, if not all, of the changes and that equivalent retrofits are made available to existing owners who want them. This is, in my view, implied in Devialet's non-obsolescence promise made some time ago, though clearly there may be some practical limitations.

Devialet have not committed to this as far as I know, though I imagine the new A and D boards will go into new 800s at some point. I imagine the thermal management changes and the integrated power supply changes might drip down but might not but I would hope all will become clear by the time of the Munich show.

For those who have not seen it here is the Devialet release on the Od'A.

Ian, what is the length of the "Audioquest Carbon RCA/RCA master/companion link" and the "Audioquest Sydney cable which (you) guess is the trigger connection"?  Is this trigger connection end points 3.5mm plugs?
They are both 1m long.

The Carbon is phono plugs both ends (£72.50 new if one splits a stereo pair) and the Sydney is 3.5mm stereo plugs both ends (£149.00 new).

The NRG X are both 1.75m long (£85.00 each new).
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(08-Mar-2016, 21:36)Antoine Wrote: Then I ask what does the upgraded class A component have to do with the pre-amp functionality?

Personally I think the Devialet is great only as a whole because of ADH. The DAC on it's own is nothing special and it's functionality is aged. Same goes for it's ethernet and USB inputs. The ethernet/WiFI inputs actually are quite worthless today because of the widespread issues with AIR. It's USB input, though better sounding than ethernet/WiFi when a good source is used, is bettered by it's conventional digital inputs. At least this has been my experience.

If one can find a better power amp I'm sure you could also find a better pre-amp and DAC to go with it.

That's an interesting observation. The DAC could have been upgraded in the Od'A but they didn't. I wonder if there's much to be gained there.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
The Devialet design is already several years old. Better SQ can probably be obtained with R2R ladder DAC's and higher quality low phase noise clocks and possibly even with newer DAC IC's like the new ESS or AKM's. Functionality wise there's 32 bit/384kHz PCM and native DSD64 up to DSD1024 DAC's (through USB) out there today with user selectable filtering. On the inputs side of course there's all sort of new functionality Airplay, Bluetooth APT-x, Roon, Ravenna/AES67, you name it.

ADH and the 'magic wire' in close proximity are still Devialet's 'golden eggs' for high SQ though IMO.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(08-Mar-2016, 22:35)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(08-Mar-2016, 21:36)Antoine Wrote: Then I ask what does the upgraded class A component have to do with the pre-amp functionality?

That's an interesting observation. The DAC could have been upgraded in the Od'A but they didn't. I wonder if there's much to be gained there.

Perhaps a DAC with native 8x DSD decoding like the ifi iDSD micro can do. Also WI-FI AC could be welcome
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
Ha ha, I think you are over-thinking (or over-wishing) on the PCM1792 DAC's capability. I think DSD64 is the limit for this DAC, unless they change to a different DAC like Antoine said.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(09-Mar-2016, 01:50)hk6230 Wrote: Ha ha, I think you are over-thinking (or over-wishing) on the PCM1792 DAC's capability. I think DSD64 is the limit for this DAC, unless they change to a different DAC like Antoine said.

I just talk about it. Should justify clear progress , right?
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
Hee Hee. I wish Devialet will offer us some hardware upgrade like DAC, wifi receptor, etc. Then, it will truly be future-proof.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(09-Mar-2016, 01:50)hk6230 Wrote: Ha ha, I think you are over-thinking (or over-wishing) on the PCM1792 DAC's capability. I think DSD64 is the limit for this DAC, unless they change to a different DAC like Antoine said.

Devialet does DSD to PCM conversion in software (DSP), not using the PCM1792 for this. The PCM1792 in the Devialet always gets 192kHz PCM.