Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
(07-Aug-2016, 00:21)IanG-UK Wrote:
(06-Aug-2016, 20:30)nicoludio Wrote: TBH, although I do not have a horse in the race, I am rather confused (without due deference to Confused).  What I have heard from those that were in Paris/Versailles and the recent "revelations" are not consistent.

Perhaps (wishfully) OdA owners could have been sent a e-mail detailing the changes vis-a-vis the 1000 Pro as well as the steps to be taken and roadmap to ensuring that the OdA remains the TOTL.  That would have been definitive.

The truth is out there ...

You read my thinking.

I wrote earlier elsewhere:

"I felt that, to a degree, my product had been devalued ... (though I accepted that the purchase had been my choice alone)

Of course, Devialet could have mitigated this by liaising with their Original d’Atelier owners speedily and with openness and honesty: A personal letter from Monsieur Calmel to the 100 Original d’Atelier owners thanking them for their purchase. Assuring them that their unit would be upgraded to the technical quality of the 1000 Pro. Telling them that the unique aspects of their Original d’Atelier would be maintained. Promising to put them at the head of the upgrade queue. 

I would have been delighted. I would have become even more of an advocate.

Did they do this? No.

No letter. Lack of clarity as to technical differences and their addressing, despite being asked five times. Delayed agreement that unique aspects of the Original d’Atelier would be maintained. One year down the queue (July 2017) for most improvements to be made even though most could be delivered now.

I think that even better would have been to put it out there that there's an upgrade coming for the O d'A next year so that the last remaining O d'As would sell out first in anticipation. Then those with the newly upgraded O d'A would tell everyone how great it is. Then come out with the Pro line for everyone else to 'catch up' on the upgraded O d'A.

Everybody happy and all O d'As sold. Now there's still a bunch to be sold and the 'new and improved' model is already available, but not quite fully functional.

So the way I see this for Devialet. They may have sold out on O d'As to their dealers but those dealers will still need to sell them before they can start selling 1000 Pros. The end result will still be the same amount of each sold but minus the ones they didn't sell because they bungled up the whole process. And all still need to be updated with the streamer board.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(06-Aug-2016, 11:07)nicknick Wrote: Hi waikeywi,

Yes, it's my honor that I've the chance to talk with the good gentleman Julien and got his recommendation before I made my decision to brought the Od'A. 

He said that the Od'A and LE1000pro is 99% same hardware, and will get free upgrade in 2017 to have 100% same HW as 1000pro (except the outlook).
Their main difference is that the Od'A does not have provision for PLC (mainly for the connection with Phantom). Both Od'A and 1000pro still need the upgrade for the DevialetOS card at 2017, the OS card for 1000pro can be installed by Squarewave at HK but the installation for Od'A must ship back to Paris.

So I think (only my guess) the component of Od'A is already equal to V6 but some circuit board layout or connection pin is not the same as the "finalized" version LE1000pro, that make the Od'A still need to replace the main board in order to fit the new DevialetOS card.

Nick

Your second paragraph, if I interpret it correctly, suggests that a dealer can install the OS card (whether for the 1000 Pro or the Od'A) but the more extensive upgrade for the Od'A (which happens to include the OS card) has to be done in Paris.

The news about the dealer installation of the OS card alone was not something my UK dealer had heard, and what's more not the story told by Devialet at the Oxford Audio event when they said that an 800 Expert upgrade would necessitate the unit being returned to Paris twice, the second purely for the OS card.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(09-Aug-2016, 00:08)IanG-UK Wrote:

Yes, it's my honor that I've the chance to talk with the good gentleman Julien and got his recommendation before I made my decision to brought the Od'A. 

He said that the Od'A and LE1000pro is 99% same hardware, and will get free upgrade in 2017 to have 100% same HW as 1000pro (except the outlook).
Their main difference is that the Od'A does not have provision for PLC (mainly for the connection with Phantom). Both Od'A and 1000pro still need the upgrade for the DevialetOS card at 2017, the OS card for 1000pro can be installed by Squarewave at HK but the installation for Od'A must ship back to Paris.

So I think (only my guess) the component of Od'A is already equal to V6 but some circuit board layout or connection pin is not the same as the "finalized" version LE1000pro, that make the Od'A still need to replace the main board in order to fit the new DevialetOS card.

Nick

Your second paragraph, if I interpret it correctly, suggests that a dealer can install the OS card (whether for the 1000 Pro or the Od'A) but the more extensive upgrade for the Od'A (which happens to include the OS card) has to be done in Paris.

The news about the dealer installation of the OS card alone was not something my UK dealer had heard, and what's more not the story told by Devialet at the Oxford Audio event when they said that an 800 Expert upgrade would necessitate the unit being returned to Paris twice, the second purely for the OS card.

No, what I've heard was the OS board could only be installed by local dealer for 1000pro, not any other models, not Od'A nor 800.
so I said "the OS card for 1000pro can be installed by Squarewave at HK but the installation for Od'A must ship back to Paris." and the LE800 upgrade need to do at Paris too.
nick.

Qobuz Sublime/Roon on Synology DS3617xs --> Od'A (#82) --> B&W 802D3
Roon --> Dante --> Devialet Opéra de Paris Gold Phantom (pro mode)
(09-Aug-2016, 01:26)nicknick Wrote:
(09-Aug-2016, 00:08)IanG-UK Wrote:

Nick

No, what I've heard was the OS board could only be installed by local dealer for 1000pro, not any other models, not Od'A nor 800.
so I said "the OS card for 1000pro can be installed by Squarewave at HK but the installation for Od'A must ship back to Paris." and the LE800 upgrade need to do at Paris too.

That's curious. Surely the upgraded 800 for all intents and purposes is a 1000 Pro, in other words it is identical to a 1000 Pro inside the chassis? So why would the 800 need to be treated differently from the 1000 Pro?

Apologies I am not trying to shoot the messenger, just trying to understand this better.  Smile

Equally if all O d'As were upgraded now they would be identical to the 1000 Pro (bar the copper gold chassis).

As to the point that the O d'A is 99% the same as the 1000 Pro surely that is stretching things a little? I mean inside the 1000 Pro there is a brand new Class A amp with two less resistors in the signal path. Equally the 1000 Pro benefits from a brand new power supply which supplies 4kW peak power compared to 3kW in the O d'A (and 800/400/200 for that matter). Admittedly there is some confusion surrounding the facts around the ADH/Magic Wire DAC since it's unclear whether the new ADH/Magic Wire DAC can function on platform 5. The power supply alone should have a pretty big impact, in fact Devialet claim that load transients are handled twice as fast in the 1000 Pro. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(09-Aug-2016, 19:03)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(09-Aug-2016, 00:08)IanG-UK Wrote: Nick

That's curious. Surely the upgraded 800 for all intents and purposes is a 1000 Pro, in other words it is identical to a 1000 Pro inside the chassis? So why would the 800 need to be treated differently from the 1000 Pro?

Apologies I am not trying to shoot the messenger, just trying to understand this better.  Smile

Equally if all O d'As were upgraded now they would be identical to the 1000 Pro (bar the copper gold chassis).

As to the point that the O d'A is 99% the same as the 1000 Pro surely that is stretching things a little? I mean inside the 1000 Pro there is a brand new Class A amp with two less resistors in the signal path. Equally the 1000 Pro benefits from a brand new power supply which supplies 4kW peak power compared to 3kW in the O d'A (and 800/400/200 for that matter). Admittedly there is some confusion surrounding the facts around the ADH/Magic Wire DAC since it's unclear whether the new ADH/Magic Wire DAC can function on platform 5. The power supply alone should have a pretty big impact, in fact Devialet claim that load transients are handled twice as fast in the 1000 Pro. 

Guillaume

When I read it I assumed they meant an non upgraded 800.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

The chassis for the Expert 800 and the Od'A and the 1000 Pro are the same (save for the OdA colour).

If one updated an Expert 800 and an Od'A now, one would allegedly have three identical units (save for the colour). Both these upgrades are currently possible.

Presumably in a year's time, Squarewave can install the OS card for the 1000 Pro. But not for the then identical Expert 800 or the Od'A. Sounds perverse.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(09-Aug-2016, 23:08)IanG-UK Wrote: The chassis for the Expert 800 and the Od'A and the 1000 Pro are the same (save for the OdA colour).

If one updated an Expert 800 and an Od'A now, one would allegedly have three identical units (save for the colour). Both these upgrades are currently possible.

Presumably in a year's time, Squarewave can install the OS card for the 1000 Pro. But not for the then identical Expert 800 or the Od'A.  Sounds perverse.

Maybe they don't have the appropriate gloves to guarantee a blemish free polish on the special finish on the OdA case after putting it back together. Or maybe the streamer card has to be listened to, and fine tuned by ear, for each one. Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(09-Aug-2016, 00:08)IanG-UK Wrote: Nick

Guillaume

I understand what you confuse.

I pervious talking the original 800 and the original original d'A  Tongue upgrade, not upgrade the upgraded 800  Big Grin .

Would your Od'A have separate upgrade? such as: 1st upgrade the inside to make it identical to 1000pro very soon, and then 2nd upgrade is to install the OS card at 2017? may be that make you confuse.

In my case, as my understanding, my O'dA would only have one time upgrade at 2017 when the OS card ready to be install, then my Od'A needed ship back to Paris to replace something inside together with the installation of OS card. Then it will finally identical to an "OS card installed 1000pro"
nick.

Qobuz Sublime/Roon on Synology DS3617xs --> Od'A (#82) --> B&W 802D3
Roon --> Dante --> Devialet Opéra de Paris Gold Phantom (pro mode)
(10-Aug-2016, 13:41)nicknick Wrote:
(09-Aug-2016, 01:26)nicknick Wrote: No, what I've heard was the OS board could only be installed by local dealer for 1000pro, not any other models, not Od'A nor 800.

Guillaume

I pervious talking the original 800 and the original original d'A  Tongue upgrade, not upgrade the upgraded 800  Big Grin .

Would your Od'A have separate upgrade? such as: 1st upgrade the inside to make it identical to 1000pro very soon, and then 2nd upgrade is to install the OS card at 2017? may be that make you confuse.

In my case, as my understanding, my O'dA would only have one time upgrade at 2017 when the OS card ready to be install, then my Od'A needed ship back to Paris to replace something inside together with the installation of OS card. Then it will finally identical to an "OS card installed 1000pro"

Exactly what Julien has explained to me during the HK show. He promised Od'A owners will be the first to have the OS card installed as well (among the owners upgrading their D's).
(11-Aug-2016, 09:18)waikeywi Wrote:
(10-Aug-2016, 13:41)nicknick Wrote:
(09-Aug-2016, 19:03)GuillaumeB Wrote: That's curious. Surely the upgraded 800 for all intents and purposes is a 1000 Pro, in other words it is identical to a 1000 Pro inside the chassis? So why would the 800 need to be treated differently from the 1000 Pro?

Guillaume

Exactly what Julien has explained to me during the HK show. He promised Od'A owners will be the first to have the OS card installed as well (among the owners upgrading their D's).

I completely understand all of this.

What I don't understand is why can't we have the v6 upgrade hardware now? I am much more interested in having the new power supply (4kW transients), new class A and new ADH discrete components layout as per the video shown here.

This is what the 800 owners are going to get and I don't see why they should be first.

To me the OS card is an unknown quantity and I cannot see how it will equal best of breed solutions out there (for e.g. mR+mutec). I am not too bothered about it, and besides my guess is that it will be a dealer fit.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK