Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
moderate budget suggestions for turntable + additional optical source setup
Thanks for the replies (and keep 'em coming). And yeah - I'd looked at the Puffin (from the "Phantom+turntable+sonos" thread on this forum) and the Pro-ject Essential, but noticed the downsides that you guys mentioned, with respect to my particular needs / budget.

I came across the Arch as well, but I'm not willing to give devialet any more of my money at this point. The phantoms sound great, but their other hardware (dialogue, remote) and software / firmware have been a huge headache, and customer service a nightmare.

Another possibility that's occurred to me is a turntable with a USB output, which seem fairly common - but I have yet to identify a good solution for converting the USB to toslink. Given that my other audio source is a computer, I suppose there might be a software solution there. (Bonus, I'd get to keep my single-source setup, and not need an optical switch.) I am not enough of an audiophile to anticipate if there are opportunities for sound degradation in this case, but maybe since it's all digital, not much to worry about?

Messages In This Thread
RE: moderate budget suggestions for turntable + additional optical source setup - by meeotch - 14-Apr-2021, 18:38