Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air vs AirPlay
The expert pro CI are Airplay 2 compatible.

This being said, to my knowledge and reading the specs of Airplay vs Airplay 2 there is no difference from audio capabilities perspective, just the multi room capability that Airplay 2 is bringing.

Sure Airplay is limited to 48kHz and 24bits, but that’s really up to you to decide it is a problem for you.

Personally I’m using Roon RAAT when using my macintosh as a source and Airplay when using my phone or my iPad as the source to listen to Apple Music.

I have never been able to tell the difference between RAAT, Devialet’s Air and Apple’s Airplay, despite having done several A/B/C testing by having the same source through the 3 means and switching from one to the other.

I did the same with high res material that I on the fly and in parallel reduced to 44/16, and yet again was not able to find a difference, letting me think that on my system and with my ears and my brain, I don’t need high res as a format, but for the better masters which is often the case.
Therefore, everything is always reduced to 44/16 in my music library because I don’t see the point to spend 2 to 6 times the disk space for no differences to me.

That may also explain, or at least it is consistent with my inability to make a difference between RAAT, Air and Airplay.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France

Messages In This Thread
Air vs AirPlay - by JamesN - 12-Feb-2022, 21:20
RE: Air vs AirPlay - by Pim - 12-Feb-2022, 23:30
RE: Air vs AirPlay - by Jean-Marie - 13-Feb-2022, 11:21
RE: Air vs AirPlay - by JamesN - 13-Feb-2022, 13:54