Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming Tidal (Master quality vs Hifi)
(13-Jul-2022, 20:18)harmen_phantom1 Wrote: Hi all,

I have Phantom 1 108db in stereo. I stream Tidal music via airplay 2.

In my experience the hifi quality music numbers sounds better than the master quality music. (Master should be the higher quality)

Is anyone else experiencing the same? Or any thoughts about this?

Thanks!
Harmen

Hi Harmen,

My first thought on the above is that you probably have a very good ear for listening for such things!

Tidal hifi will deliver lossless 16/44.1 files as unadulterated PCM, this should work well via AirPlay with a Phantom.

With Tidal masters you are listening to software decoded MQA, without the specific MQA filters. Strictly speaking, MQA is a lossy codec and in blind tests it has been demonstrated that there is no general preference for MQA over 16/44.1.

So in your case with Tidal Masters you are using a codec that is no better than 16/44.1 and even then you are not fully optimising this codec by using an MQA optimised filter. So from a technical perspective Tidal Hifi should sound best. In your case this seems to exactly what you are subjectively hearing.

So why not just stick with Tidal Hifi, get the sound you prefer, and save a little money on the Tidal subscription in the process?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Streaming Tidal (Master quality vs Hifi) - by Confused - 15-Jul-2022, 07:01