Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convolver in the DSP
I agree this is sad and disappointing. On one side I really like what Devialet is trying to do and wish them all the best in their attempts, on the other side I feel kind of let down based on "promises" they've made in emails and external communication. I bought into Devialet because of their DSP/ upgrade story and roadmap with the promise of "if you buy a D-Premier you get a stream of improvements over the years". Kind of disappointing that 18 months later I figure out that I need to pay significant money to do a hardware upgrade not to be left behind and secondly, that the key feature I really wanted is not on the roadmap any longer.

That said, I think there are basically 3 alternatives around convolver:

a) Devialet accepts that there is a small set of customers that REALLY want this and makes it possible to install convolver files that these customers generate on their own, not taking any responsibility for sound quality or issues. Any microphone or quality issues are entirely left for the customers to handle. They probably need to make it sufficiently "cumbersome" to avoid everyone doing this and creating negative feedback around this feature and potential quality issues.

b) Devialet makes a turnkey solution for this with recommended tools/ microphones to use OR make a solution that works with one of e.g. AudioLense or Acourate and their recommended tools/ processes/ guides.

c) Presuming SAM require some form of convolver files to be downloaded/ installed, someone will at some point reverse engineer this format and make it possible to generate custom "SAM files" unless Devialet blocks this by e.g. cut-off frequencies in firmware.

The flaw in Devialet's arguments around DRC and sound quality is that presumably all of us asking for this already run convolver filters in JRMC or similar. Moving this out of the PC and into a DSP with higher sampling rate can hardly reduce sound quality.
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)

Messages In This Thread
Convolver in the DSP - by ogs - 03-Jun-2014, 13:47
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by Nightmare - 04-Jun-2014, 11:13
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by Borgen - 09-Jul-2014, 08:46
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by f1eng - 09-Jul-2014, 18:42
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by ogs - 09-Jul-2014, 20:45
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by ogs - 28-Jul-2014, 18:43
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by Divasson - 31-Jul-2014, 22:07
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by ogs - 31-Jul-2014, 22:23
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by markush - 24-Mar-2015, 16:08
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by ogs - 24-Mar-2015, 16:31
RE: Convolver in the DSP - by Borgen - 24-Mar-2015, 21:33