Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moon Mind 180 - Questions about control points/server software
(10-Mar-2015, 09:17)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I personally didn't like the Moon MiND HD app at all! It seemed to have some critical bugs for me that others didn't seem to experience.  It crashed frequently and the iPad's memory 'reaper' just seemed to kill it all the time when backgrounded, even when if the only other app running was a web browser with just 1 or 2 tabs (a single Safari tab consumes typically several hundred MB amount of memory scarily, but there was ample memory free). I ended up using Linn's Kinsky and using BubbleUPNP Server on my Qnap NAS to operate as a proxy providing Openhome functionality. It worked pretty well though a few features were missing - predominantly seek (skip forward/back) and pause didn't pause but stopped the track. It wasn't ideal and Kinsky isn't the most exciting thing in the world despite me being well used to it. Linn's Kazoo is getting a lot better now and you could also use the Lumin app which is much prettier.

The sound made up for it and it's a really nice musical player. Not super-detailed though. Probably the opposite to the Aries in my opinion!

I actually found and installed the BubbleUPnP .qpkg on the NAS but have yet to run it. Still sorting out how to use the Openhome functionality you refer to but it seems that this will allow me to try out a variety of control points should I opt to purchase the Moon Mind. I did not mind Kinksy when I had a Akurate DS about 4-5 years ago. Yes, the Lumin app does look like a winner. 

In regards to your last comment about being the opposite of the Aries - is the Moon that far behind in terms of details ? I am now wondering how much better can it be than my somewhat "optimized" Mac mini (SSD for OS, stripped all non essential background processes and apps, audio only server). The Mac mini/Devialet combo actually sounds great for a sub $500 source.
Naim NAC-N 272 ➣ Naim XPSDR ➣ Naim NAP 200DR  ➣ Kudos Super 10 ➣ Siltech Explorer 90L  (Montreal, CA)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moon Mind 180 - Questions about control points/server software - by Ants - 10-Mar-2015, 18:10