Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker Cables
teddlesdee,

It is a nice surprise to find such an improvement with the cable change. I've had similar experiences, where different speaker cables corrected the same condition you described; slight sharpness in the treble, recessed mids, but still good bass.

I've changed cables a few times, either out of curiosity, using something I had or was given or out of need, trying to find something that would actually bend around the corners. The sound change has sometimes been remarkable. Treble eased off, bass remained good but improved, and the midrange came back into line. Flaws that I assumed were in the box components were solved by changes in speaker cable.

Like you, I found that different cables seem to adjust the relative levels high, mids, and lows, that the system produces. The compatibility varies with amplifiers and speakers, but it really can be a different way to vary the character and presentation of the sound. I've never played with expensive cables but I think that a 4mm x-section is probably a very good size.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
Speaker Cables - by teddlesdee - 14-May-2015, 10:59
RE: Speaker Cables - by Damon - 14-May-2015, 16:48
RE: Speaker Cables - by DE GREEF - 09-Jun-2015, 05:30
RE: Speaker Cables - by teddlesdee - 09-Jun-2015, 12:51
RE: Speaker Cables - by G51 - 09-Jun-2015, 16:54
RE: Speaker Cables - by Mac User - 09-Jun-2015, 17:22
RE: Speaker Cables - by G51 - 09-Jun-2015, 18:01
RE: Speaker Cables - by Mac User - 09-Jun-2015, 20:18