Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using random SAM profiles on unSAMable speakers
(11-Jun-2015, 13:31)Manoet Wrote: [...]
The one thing I'd like to specifically address is Jean-Marie's parting comment; "I really think the only risk is less accurate reproduction" while I contend there's also the risk of MORE accurate reproduction! If "less" was the bona fide, guaranteed outcome in every SAM profile swap then this effort would be tantamount to Einstein's (perhaps mis-attributed) theory of insanity.

Call me pessimist or skeptical or scientist, but I leans towards F1Eng's side. My understanding of SAM, and I have spoken with Pierre-Emmanuel Calmel several times about SAM, is that every aspect of a speaker I can think of (from electrical to acoustic charging to mechanical to thermal, phasing, etc.) is being modeled. 

So I think there is no chance that an other profile will sound as accurate as a proper SAM profile for this speaker.

Now it is not impossible that although not ideal, a profile from an other speaker would move that speaker closer to the ideal accuracy than without, but that is still very hazardous to me, especially when you hear how seemingly similar speakers sound differently.

Filtering is a very important component of a speaker and is something that is modeled and compensated by SAM, and this is not easy compare between two speakers without extensive measurements.

Just my 2 cents....
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using random SAM profiles on unSAMable speakers - by Jean-Marie - 11-Jun-2015, 15:36