Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IEC contacts fits badly in my 400 amps.
Approaching things this way while sure to snug things up certainly does nothing for the bigger problem internally of a loose/sloppy conductive electrical contact. In the tests we carried out above there's 'zero' interference-fit between the MIEC outer sleeve ID and the one-piece FIEC inner sleeve OD. Sure they're probably a better fit than some of the cheaper 2-piece DIY modular FIEC's. The actual problem is specifically related to loose fit/poor conductivity more than non-conductive alignment of the inner/outer plastic housings. On a budget? Open the FIEC up and pinch the line & neutral conductors closed a small or moderate amount with small needle-nose pliars (easy-peasy tweak!). You can always do more after a quick test-fit if necessary. After that sleeve-away if it suits ya but electrically conductive grip and alignment trumps plastic housing shimming for alignment & grip every time!

The nominal dimensional spec for an MIEC inlet housing width is 24mm while the FIEC housing runs 23mm. The MIEC inlet housing height runs 16mm nominal and the FIEC 15mm nominal. .5mm clearance all around inner/outer housing is the design spec and the male/female conductors (on a quality MIEC/FIEC pair) is (or should be) the sole 'snugging mechanism.' The grip or friction coefficient for installation/removal and alignment of the plug should come from male/female conductor pair's interference-fit rather than an external sleeve on the FEIC. Of course the sleeve doesn't hurt anything but doesn't gain anything either from an electrical or conductivity POV. If the IEC is loose/sloppy its because the contacts are loose/sloppy and external sleeving won't fix, cure or heal that. It might lessen it slightly in some instances but given that's possible we'd be remiss to not at least acknowledge, with manufacturing tolerances, it also risks making it worse. It might push one conductor more tightly into one side conductor but away from the opposite conductor as well. Best to allow all four female conductors to center & self-align the two male spades & ground pin upon plug-in... it is after all, the grand design of things. Then make a test-pull on the FIEC with a cheap fish scale (available for <$10 on Amazon and others). If it takes more than 3-4 lbs effort to remove the FIEC from it's conductor's grip ALONE then you should be good-to-go. If it pulls out easier than that I'd suggest looking for a better quality part, pinching or pinching tighter. But hey, that's just me!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
RE: IEC contacts fits badly in my 400 amps. - by Manoet - 23-Jul-2015, 23:02