Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IEC contacts fits badly in my 400 amps.
Nor do I believe a 5kg 'tooth' to be overly important but surprisingly achievable with any number of OEM M/F IEC outlet combinations. With that said however, I can't think of a soul who'd throw one back if it did! Its those pesky modular 2-piece FIEC's with the midline horizontal separation around their entire circumference that can't seem to get an acceptably tenacious grip on their respective mating male blades. The one-piece noses have nowhere near the same problems/issues related to loose/sloppy fitment due to much more heavy-duty and robust clamping force... good thing too as you probably can't gain access to pinch their female conductors further-closed.

I do believe 3lbs (tested) conductor only grip to be a good jumping-off point and so very easy to do with a cheap LED or spring operated mechanical $5 fish weighing scale.

Interestingly I measured a handful of FIEC/MIEC's while writing some of the earlier posts and most were spot-on tho a few were .1 to .15mm outta whack. The MEIC's were all 24 X 16 specification and all one-piece FEIC's were the correct 23 X 15 including the OEM molded power cord FEIC's. Not surprisingly it was ALL full-split housing model FEIC's with the variance. This tells me most are very good but split-nose FEIC's should be avoided. An interesting aside to this is all split-nose FEIC's seem under good lighting and 4-12 X magnification to be 100% cast parts while all one-piece noses seem to be molded parts, absent of any casting marks/indications whatsoever. Even when a cast, split-body with a one-piece nose are assembled the body appears cast and the nose molded as separate parts then attached to the cast, split-body. Ok, never mind, just figured it out. Because heavy-duty conductors have to be completely encased in their housings, they are molded instead of cast one-piece noses due to risk of splitting, cracking or splintering upon insertion of plug. Those more robust moldings containing more robust internal conductors are fitted into the cast bodies as cast parts can never take the plug-in expansion stress or contain conductors anywhere near as robust as the molded part without risk of fracturing. A molded one-piece nose integrated into a cast two-piece housing. There it is... I think we've nailed it!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
RE: IEC contacts fits badly in my 400 amps. - by Manoet - 24-Jul-2015, 08:59