Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does it compare to Sonos?
Vannibombonato,

I have only heard the phantom briefly, but I have and use a Sonos Connect at home. I recently added a Connect:Amp to run the speakers in the kitchen (which were previously connected to my D120 through an impedance-matching multi-speaker connector box from QED).

With respect to Sonos, it is nowhere near the SQ of the Phantom, or the Expert series. I frankly am thinking of selling the amp and spending the money on a new multi-speaker swathing box. The class D Sonos amp is fine for some, but I find it pale; it lacks the dynamics and tonal colour of the D120 or Phantom.

And while the Sonos interface is good, as you know it is limited in the user interface that some services such as Deezer and Spotify license to Sonos, so you don't get the full functionality of some streaming services from within Sonos as you do get if you use the dedicated service app. It is just that the Application Programming Interface that Sonos has is not the 'full meal deal'. I have also found the Sonos connectivity to be less stellar than their advertising and reputation suggests.

Dialogue and Spark may be in the developing stages, but having heard the Phantom, I would rather live with the growing pains than the mediocre sound quality of Sonos.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: How does it compare to Sonos? - by Damon - 02-Oct-2015, 20:28
RE: How does it compare to Sonos? - by zimbly - 02-Oct-2015, 21:51
RE: How does it compare to Sonos? - by angenet - 03-Oct-2015, 10:03