Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of Phantom, December 2015 (new owner questions)
My silver Phantoms were in the first shipment to come from Devialet's own web store in March 2015, earlier units were purchased from a web store in Paris where they had a supply contract. I am not sure many came this way but there were definitely production delays. Mine came almost 3 months after I paid for them.
Mine are therefore very early production but work perfectly with the latest firmware.
I have not noticed any change to SQ which would lead me to go backwards on a firmware update. Some owners do/did not like the change to the volume control law which changed quite substantially with one FW update leaving a big difference between the number on the volume control to get the same loudness after the change. This seemed to freak some owners out.

My Dialog runs hot but has not failed though I unplug it when not in use.

Mine do not, and never have with any of the firmwares, hiss at low, or any, volume. I recently bought a third Phantom because of the addition of bluetooth. It does not hiss either. So for me, neither very early nor very recent hardware has had this problem.

I don't know what hardware updates have been included during production. If they are anything like cars there will have been some, maybe many, and the customers and dealers will not be told.

There was an early hardware change to the Dialog and mine was recalled and replaced with the new type. It runs just as hot as the first one though.

I had quite a few connection problems at home in the early days. I took them to the Scalford show in March and once they had internet access they worked fine with the earliest firmware and software. With help from Devialet's customer service it became clear that the principle means of communication between the Dialog and the Phantoms is via the power chord not wireless, though I was told that one bug in the early code was when the system checked the robustness of the wireless, power chord and ethernet connections there was a mistake which meant the system defaulted to the least robust connection rather than the best... That meant at home, where I had the Dialog plugged into a filtered socket it always chose the power chord which did not work! The firmware is fixed and my kit is plugged into non filtered mains outlets now. Since then I have no problems.

I mainly listen to classical music and none of the streaming software I have tried is much use at either tagging sensibly or searching usefully for classical works. Spark is neither better or worse for this IMO. Otherwise, for pop music and Qobuz streaming it seems fine.
I have a CD transport connected to one Phanton via an optical SPDIF lead and my TV tuner connected to the Dialog similarly. Both work fine.

It is a shame that there is no standby mode but I unplug everything when it is not in use anyway.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
RE: State of Phantom, December 2015 (new owner questions) - by f1eng - 27-Dec-2015, 11:56