Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turning Off your Devialet
Depending on who you ask, turning electronics off when not in use will either increase or decrease its lifespan Wink

I guess the reality is it depends on the item specifically, as each is probably different.  I know some old school amp manufacturers like Naim say leave on, which is also partly due to 'warm up time', yet others say the this simply ages the components (like capacitors) more quickly.  In server type electronics, I think they are generally left on but 'mean time between failures' are still calculated in 'on' duration, so you'd presume turning them off would be better.  But then as others have said, the 'cycling' on/off can also cause wear - allegedly.

I think the reality is only Devialet can tell us what is best for lifespan of the component, assuming they've tested thoroughly.

That said, wasted energy is an environmental curse and something we should all be aware of - billions of small standbys etc add up to an unimaginable waste - OK for us, but not so great for the generations to follow.  I can't imagine they'll be too understanding that we wanted our hifis to sound better as soon as we came home to listen, while they struggle through global warming and revert to stone age practices as energy sources become scarce, controlled, and expensive.

Devialet's are weird (and a bit dishonest), since the notion of a full power off is that it's actually OFF, whereas in their case power is still being drawn to keep the little thing warm. I can still hear the faint chattering of the PSU.  The only way to stop it using anything is off at the wall outlet switch.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
Turning Off your Devialet - by hahe - 08-Jan-2016, 09:23
RE: Turning Off your Devialet - by Morten - 08-Jan-2016, 12:24
RE: Turning Off your Devialet - by samurai7595 - 08-Jan-2016, 12:47
RE: Turning Off your Devialet - by Antoine - 08-Jan-2016, 13:27
RE: Turning Off your Devialet - by hk6230 - 08-Jan-2016, 14:19
RE: Turning Off your Devialet - by hahe - 08-Jan-2016, 14:50
RE: Turning Off your Devialet - by Hifi_swlon - 08-Jan-2016, 15:41
RE: Turning Off your Devialet - by Womaz - 08-Jan-2016, 15:57
RE: Turning Off your Devialet - by Axel - 09-Jan-2016, 13:09
RE: Turning Off your Devialet - by Confused - 09-Jan-2016, 14:52
RE: Turning Off your Devialet - by f1eng - 08-Jan-2016, 16:29