Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco N1Z vs Aurender N10 vs CAD CAT
(24-Apr-2016, 11:46)Confused Wrote:
(23-Apr-2016, 14:15)Duomike Wrote: Pity the melco n1a is not included n this shootout

Actually, I am glad it wasn't!  To be honest, to listen to three devices back to back is arguably one too many, far better I think to stick to two, but then again I was trying to cram as much as possible into my time during the audition.  Having said that, I am very intrigued as to how the N1A performs ant its relatively sensible price point.  Definitely one on my list to listen to in the future, together with the N1ZH.  In fact, the music server market is developing so fast, I am not sure it is an are to go 'all in' with money wise.  If you were after an ultimate CD player, maybe, the technology is sufficiently developed that something top class today with still be up there in five years time,.  With a music server, who knows what will be available in five years, the market seams to change by the week, so maybe an area where being a little prudent is sensible.

Great review Confused, thanks for sharing your observations and thoughts!

As you know I am a big fan of the N1A, no it isn't the best sounding streamer out there but it is easily the best value. I'd say it gets 90% or more of the performance of the N1Z.

Re the N1Z - it just goes to show how important it is to demo the stuff as so much comes down to personal preferences (and partnering equipment no doubt). When comparing the the N1Z back to back with the W20 - which I also did at OAC with the 800 and Sasha 2 speakers - I found the N1Z to be the most natural sounding with the W20 coming a close second with its very impressive soundstage. Given the price differential it would have been a no brainer to me. But I remember thinking after how impressed I was with the Aurender, so perhaps given more time and a better managed audition (with my own playlist etc) I might have been even more impressed. Ultimately I would need to test these in my own setup, something I have only done with the Melcos and totaldac etc.

I'm actually beginning to realise quite how good the totaldac is. First of all it sounds utterly superb. I've had free hardware upgrades. And now I find out they are one of the first to be RoonReady. And it's optimised for the AES/EBU output, something we keep hearing good things about. In my own test the N1Z was clearly better but not by a huge margin and that was before Vincent's wonderful upgrade. But we are comparing apples with pears since the totaldac is merely a renderer. But if ROON is the ultimate destination, might this form the building block of one of the best solutions available? 

I must say I am very much looking forward to hearing more about this two-box launch in June! 

Once again thanks for sharing your experience with this shootout.  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Melco N1Z vs Aurender N10 vs CAD CAT - by GuillaumeB - 24-Apr-2016, 12:24