Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Phantom ready for prime time?
Agree completely that this is great hardware constrained by poor software. The result is a product that is only suitable for early adopters with some networking knowledge and willingness to follow forums to see how to resolve basic problems.  

Being an early adopter and having experience many technology launches I'd say my experience with Devialet is the exact opposite of my experience with Sonos (having owned Sonos since the day it was released over a decade ago). Sonos has always made good, but not great hardware.  But they've made bulletproof software from day 1. As a result, I have recommend Sonos to dozens of people with varying amount of technical 'know-how' who ended up buying. With Devialet I basically tell everyone to wait to see if they can ever get the software side figured out unless they have the patience and time to tinker with it.

I do hope they can figure it out. The fact that they waste their time on Spark instead of outsourcing that so they can focus on networking issues is strange. Having recently left Sonos for Roon with Rasberry Pi and various other hardware as endpoints, Spark is just useless except for of course having to re-do the setup every once in a while.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the Phantom ready for prime time? - by Lolo90 - 21-May-2016, 22:12