Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Computer Audio system:Phantom/Dialog setup question
(23-May-2016, 03:09)blackdogaudio Wrote: If I understand you correctly the file would be transmitted direct to the Dialog effectively bypassing the Mac's DAC/amplifier/internal speakers altogether.

Yes. Exactly.

There are other benefits of using optical. If you want to play any kind of media that spark doesn't support like videos - or stream content from the internet - you will need something like Apple tv or Airport Express though not limited to these. You can then airplay to that device and use optical output to phantom. This works very well. If you use this with iTunes for Mac you have the option to play the same music on your Phantom and your iMac at the same time. Though the setup is bit more complicated your user interface will be simplified. (but then again Phantom supports bluetooth but this MIGHT improve your sound quality)

Just like with bluetooth you will be able to stream any kind of audio and use any application from your iphone to phantom. 

Note - Phantom consumes a lot of power - even when not in use - 2 phantom and dialog consume about 50w when not being used. 

If your Phantom power source is not easily accessible - I would recommend using smart home switch from ihome or idevice (you can then use siri to turn your speaker on / turn your speaker off / turn your speaker off at a chosen time every day) I found this to work very well - it takes about 40 seconds for dialog to fire up get your speakers ready. I also noticed dialog runs very very hot so turning it off when not in use might be a good idea. 

Bonus - If you use Apple TV connected to the same network as your smart home switch - you will be able to turn your Phantom on and off from anywhere that has internet connection.

Messages In This Thread
RE: First Computer Audio system:Phantom/Dialog setup question - by littlekid440 - 23-May-2016, 14:10