Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming from iDevice via USB input
(12-Nov-2014, 21:38)thumb5 Wrote:
(12-Nov-2014, 11:33)PhilP Wrote: I'm trialling the new TIDAL lossless streaming service and can stream from an iPod/iPad to my Naim NDX via its USB Type A input. The sound quality is good but I guess it will be even better if I stream directly to my 200.

Phil - you might find that it's more than just a matter of finding a suitable cable. Based on experience at work, I believe that the USB host needs to have special drivers for Apple devices in order to be able to stream audio from them. I'm not sure whether the Devialet will have those drivers already in its firmware.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure that the Devialet can behave as a USB host anyway. (That would be consistent with it having a Type B rather than Type A connector.) Some Apple devices can switch roles and become USB hosts to stream audio to a target device (e.g. in-car systems) but again this requires some Apple-specific protocols to be supported by the other device.

Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but hoping to help you avoid a possible wild goose chase...

Ian

The USB Type A to Type B adapter finally arrived. I connected my iPod to the USB input on the Devialet and pressed play and nothing happened. No surprise really but it was worth a go... As you said, the Devialet USB port was almost certainly never intended to work in this way.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Streaming from iDevice via USB input - by PhilP - 19-Nov-2014, 16:32