Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Apple acquire Devialet/Phantom?
Lol Gerronwithit.

Streamy,

Yes, I had network difficulties, but those might have been able to be worked out. It was the multifaceted shortcomings that turned me off and put me on the sidelines until they mature. And much of it is in fact software related (hardware might need upgrades to support such software). I want multichannel support. There is no basic control over tonal balance, if only bass/treble. Ideally, at this price point and sophistication it should be able to room correct to a degree, let alone gross bass/treble adjustments. I could do all of this in the 70’s. Spark is evolving but has shortcomings. The most troublesome is the complete lack of serviceability. It’s an interesting paperweight if anything goes wrong out of warranty. Or heaven forbid someone bumps into and dents a woofer or mashes a mid-ring or tweeter. This last one, because of the nature/novelty of the manufacturing process, well...I don’t know how you solve that one. They can extend duration of devialet care at higher insurance costs, but what actuary can correctly estimate the number of clumsy children, cats, dogs, adults, drunken adults, and general mayhem that will dent these things? So it was not just networking - although I agree with all your comments about just making it work in the tough home environment. Or as you also suggest, don’t market it as a “wireless” network speaker.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Apple acquire Devialet/Phantom? - by snbeall - 11-Feb-2018, 23:47