Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to improve Jitter issue via USB/ETHERNET ?
Bits are bits: there, I've said it.  But I will wager that has nothing to do with the kind of sound quality differences that @Confused has been talking about recently: I trust @Confused would agree they are subtle and not caused by drop-outs due to bit errors.  Over USB or Ethernet, any errored bit will cause drop-out that should be clearly audible, unless Devialet have deliberately engineered their USB and Ethernet hardware and drivers to do something different.  So if there is a sound quality difference it is not caused by "bits not being bits".  There are plenty of proposed mechanisms for such differences, but I'd say the most plausible are in the analog domain.

For example, could it not be that the sound quality differences are caused by subtle differences in grounding, noise injection, etc. that would vary with the number and type of boxes connected, and the cables between them (more or less independently of what the boxes are doing in the digital domain)?  That would explain, without resort to expectation bias, why there's always a change to be heard when changing equipment.  Just because it's "digital" audio doesn't mean these kind of analogue effects are ruled out -- far from it, they may become relatively more significant because they are not masked by higher levels of noise and distortion that would be present in an analogue signal.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Devialet has NO Jitter issue via USB/ETHERNET ? - by thumb5 - 13-Mar-2018, 11:59