Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS2 & Flac
(09-Dec-2019, 16:28)seb Wrote: Sure, I am happy to share my experience with UPnP. Basically UPnP works the same way in DOS1 and DOS2. I tested if I would like this setup before I upgraded. You have to make a choice if you would like to create a system which in a way resembles the functionality of Dialog, or if you are fine with a more simple setup.

The “basic” approach.
This would require a UPnP server of your choice (I use the free Minim Server) and a player app (e.g. mConnect) that would stream to the renderer (Devialet Phantom). The flow of the signal would be web-> app -> Phantom or server -> app -> Phantom.

The “efficient” approach.
This would require a UPnP server of your choice (I use the free Minim Server) and Bubble UPnP. What Bubble UPnP does, is that creates an additional “layer” on top of UPnP which is the OpenHome protocol. OpenHome allows you to control playlists on your server. This resembles the functionality of Spark on Dialog. You can access and control these playlists from multiple devices. What you need is a control point app (I use Linn Kazoo and LUMIN) that manages the music stream to the renderer (Devialet Phantom). The flow of the signal would be web-> server -> Phantom or server -> Phantom. There are many more apps (see also my thread) available. Audirvana is probably the best solution and it would also allow to stream via optical as well as UPnP. I do not regret switching to UPnP. It works quite well and playlist management is way better now.

You would only need the Devialet app to choose or switch the input source. The UPnP control point app volume settings are mirrored in the devialet app in real time. So once setup, there is no real need to use the devialet app for listening to music. Regarding the automatic switching of inputs it is a bit unclear. I have not tested the possible scenarios and I have a mobile device with Devialet app close, so it is not a big deal for me.

I have kept my Dialog as I need it for AirPlay and it is also nice to have an additional optical input somewhere in the room e.g. for a TV, DAC, Server, or turntable.

Regarding multi room features we have to wait for implementation in DOS 2. This right now is only possible with DOS1.

Really comprehensive and crystal clear.  Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
DOS2 & Flac - by hydr - 08-Dec-2019, 19:40
RE: DOS2 & Flac - by Johnnydev - 09-Dec-2019, 08:49
DOS2 & Flac - by struts - 09-Dec-2019, 10:07
RE: DOS2 & Flac - by hydr - 09-Dec-2019, 13:14
DOS2 & Flac - by struts - 09-Dec-2019, 14:17
RE: DOS2 & Flac - by seb - 09-Dec-2019, 16:28
RE: DOS2 & Flac - by struts - 11-Dec-2019, 17:58
RE: DOS2 & Flac - by Pwalder - 12-Dec-2019, 00:06
RE: DOS2 & Flac - by Pwalder - 12-Dec-2019, 00:14
RE: DOS2 & Flac - by seb - 12-Dec-2019, 00:16
RE: DOS2 & Flac - by Pwalder - 12-Dec-2019, 07:22