Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have Phantoms back in my life! :) How does low latency affect sound quality?
Thanks Jean-Maire that’s good to know then Smile

Re Kii 3. If I am honest - if they looked like the phantoms I probably wouldn’t have started to think about changing them. But I think I kind of already knew I would need those beautiful space balls back in my life one day when I sent them away!

The Kii are also twice the size and not really decor friendly for me.

Sound wise, yes the Kii probably are technically a level above the Phantoms and I thoroughly enjoyed their incredibly flat response for a while. But I am not a studio engineer, not over lot analytical about hifi anymore these days, and don’t even get to listen to music as often as I would like. So it got me thinking do I really need or appreciate that extra X percent of “technically better” speaker in my life right now, versus freeing up some cash, having an objet d’art - and still getting sound which is in the same ball park IMHO.

Different? yes. “worse” overall with all things considered? not for me.

In fact I feel kind I prefer them right now - I suddenly remember that smooth silky valve like treble sound that I was so in love with before. And now it’s back I realise how amazing and addictive it is Smile

I think the Kii probably had much better “separation” too (soundstage?) maybe just that sounds weren’t getting bounced around the room as much with the cardioid stuff happening.

And yes the Phantoms are maybe a little more “u shaped” EQ wise but I really like that it seems. I bought some campfire Solaris IEM against some “flatter” sounding ones.... because they were just so much more fun!! Smile Slightly more listener fatigue after a long time - but just so much fun to listen to.

So maybe that’s my summary actually.

Kii - one “serious” mother fucker of a speaker. Probably the best I ever listened to in most respects.
Phantom - so much fun and such an addictive sound (and looks Smile )

That said - I couldn’t live with them my room without taming the bass with the Dspeaker.
It flattens the bass out perfectly.

Maybe I will get the itch again and try the Dutch and Dutch 8c one day. But for all the reasons above I think I would end up back with the Golds Smile (3rd pair now - that’s high praise indeed I guess?)

That do ya? Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: I have Phantoms back in my life! :) How does low latency affect sound quality? - by Jamington2004 - 29-Feb-2020, 11:59