Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Science Review of Expert 200.
Anyone knows why the Expert line has such a low protection threshold? I mean, I'm surprised that approximately 140W amplifier (at 6 ohm) switches off when outputting continuous signal at 5W or 8W at higher frequencies?

From Stereophile Devialet Expert 140 Pro review:

"I ran into problems when I tried to test for intermodulation distortion with my usual mix of 19kHz and 20kHz tones. The amplifier went into protection with sustained high-power, high-frequency tones, reducing the output level. The spectrum in fig.9 was taken at 8Wpc into 4 ohms, the highest power the amplifier would deliver continuously without its protection operating. "

Audio Science Review:

"My frequency response testing is at 5 watts as that is what I use in my dashboard. Turns out this amplifier cannot reproduce high frequencies reliably at 5 watts! It has some kind of limiter that kicks in and pulls power back. It also does that at low frequencies but at or past maximum power. That I can sort of understand but not the high frequency hold back. "

Are these tests so long that they trigger thermal protection? Is it a safety feature, a high frequency signal so strong would fry most of the tweeters?
• Kuzma Stabi S turntable • Kuzma Stogi S arm • Benz Micro ACE H cartridge • PC with MusicBee / WASAPI source • Oyaide d+ NEO B-Class USB cable • Devialet 200 amplifier • Blue Jeans Ten speaker cable • GoldenEar Triton One •

Messages In This Thread
Audio Science Review of Expert 200. - by ragwo - 30-Mar-2020, 16:30
RE: Au - by kerkhoffd - 30-Mar-2020, 16:38
RE: Au - by ragwo - 30-Mar-2020, 17:10
RE: Audio Science Review of Expert 200. - by Bwaze - 03-Apr-2020, 15:23