Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for guidance on Sweet Room, Dual Mono and SAM
My understanding is that if you're using SAM you only get 5 filters working per channel rather than the stated 9 filters per channel. In other words, SAM and Sweet Room do work together but not as well as you should expect them to.

Is this a problem? That's a question with yes/no/maybe answers depending on your room. How many filters do you need, or are prepared to settle for, in order to get good results in your room if you use Sweet Room. Bear in mind that you can't fill in dips in response using room correction software like Sweet Room but you can reduce or eliminate peaks. Also, if you happen to have problem peaks below 150 Hz that are being excessively activated when you use SAM, not using SAM could actually be part of the solution for you and that would give you access to 4 more filters per channel. If you're using SAM to get more bass extension then you may not "need" SAM as much if you can deal with some of your low frequency room problems in Sweet Room so not using SAM may be less of an issue than you think.

What I would do is measure your room at your listening position, first with SAM active and then with SAM inactive, and see how many and what kind of issues you have that you want to deal with in both cases, and see whether any of the issues that show up with SAM active disappear or are reduced with SAM inactive. That will give you some idea of whether or not it's worth doing something with Sweet Room.

I can't make any comments about your other query as to whether there are problems with Sweet Room and dual mono configurations. I also can't comment on how well Sweet Room works since I haven't tried it.

If you can't use Sweet Room there is always the option of physical acoustic treatment of the room which has no problems related to SAM or dual mono configurations but it has its own set of issues you have to work through.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for guidance on Sweet Room, Dual Mono and SAM - by David A - 17-Nov-2020, 08:03