Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more dropouts streaming Roon RAAT over gigabit ethernet
(10-Dec-2020, 18:00)Soniclife Wrote:
(09-Dec-2020, 22:30)thumb5 Wrote: I think there's a danger in simply saying that the problem "belongs" to anyone.  The failure may only arise for certain combinations of hardware and software, and a handful of hardware manufacturers and software developers will have produced those components.  Only when the right intersection of components is put together will the problem result in a failure, so it can't truly be said to "belong" to any single hardware or software developer.  The fact that a failure is only reproducible when component X is used doesn't mean that it's caused by a defect in X: it may be a fault in component Y which is only manifested by some interaction with X.  You can only say the problem belongs to a specific component when the root cause is known, and even then it may not be a cut-and-dried decision.

I agree, given that some people don't get the issue makes me wary or putting all the blame on Devialet, especially given how variable PC OS builds are compared to the firmware + config in the amps.  The recent firmware upgrade improved things, it's almost usable for me now, so with some bugs fixed fresh experiments are needed.  As someone who fixes code I know just how hard it is to keep looking for problems in your own code once you have proved there is a problem at the other end of a chain, but the other system being wrong does not make yours perfect, though it can make it almost impossible to debug.

Does anyone with Rock have this problem now?

Hello, no thanks god no more problems! At the beginning I used a mac mini, a short time later there was a breakdown and long charging times. Mac Mini deleted and completely new installed (not from a backup !!). So it ran for a few days, then there were dropouts again etc. Next, a Win 10 notebook with i7 and 8GB and SSD was used, the same thing happened as with the Mac. Since we still had some NUC's in reserve from a project, I installed Rock on an i7. What can I say, the NUC ran for months without any errors, in the GB network! Seven months ago I exchanged the NUC for a ROON Nucleus, not because of the function, but only because of the fan !! I hope it stays that way, crossed fingers. Wink
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria

Messages In This Thread
RE: No more dropouts streaming Roon RAAT over gigabit ethernet - by K4680 - 11-Dec-2020, 09:14