Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirac and room correction software
(01-Dec-2015, 06:44)Rodney Gold Wrote: You can get a 10m usb cable(has a little powered hub thing at the end) for round $15 at any puter shop
Default target curve is a little light on the bass .. you need to hump it up a bit more....
As to the overhead, you can select the amount of attenuation required - -6db is pretty safe
Why you need this is to stop any boost going into digital clipping
I use the miniDSP hardware (ddrc 22 for dirac and openDRC di for acourate) as it is a much easier solution , allowing whatever front end an ui you like.
There is an astounding improvement using dirac.. you can try limiting the correction to under 300hz if you just want the bass corrected...

Thanks Rodney, all very helpful.

I'd just started looking at the curves and found a nice article on CA about 'best' shapes, along with some interesting info: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/...ystem-126/

I also checked out the miniDSP boxes, but apart from not really wanting to add another box, I found myself wishing that they had a 'USB in and USB/AES out' version, just so it would be compatible with anything in the future. They do look pretty good though, and I wasn't aware they could be used with something other than dirac.

I find I really like the result from Dirac.  Last night on a track from Barr Brothers I thought it sounded a bit odd and there was some distortion, but then the album is obviously distorted or compressed or something like that for effect, so its probably just emphasising what I don't usually hear as much.  

But the main reason that I would probably drop Dirac now, is the fact that it doesn't store the preferred output in its processor engine thing.  So that means every time the Devialet goes off, or power saves, or I change input, manual intervention would be required via VNC to reset the output.  As I have a headless server, this is a total no-go.  It would drive me mad and prevent others listening to the hifi.  I have to say Dirac support was pretty lame here, and essentially just said 'its not a bug, leave the amplifier on all the time'.  As I;'m on a Mac I'm a bit stuck as all the other options that come up as being good are PC only.

Urgh, this hobby can be frustrating at times…..

(Thanks for the SAM tip too - those sweeps are pretty loud so will be interesting to see if the Facts get protected - will start with SAM low and work my way up.  If I can be bothered to continue with Dirac that is!)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dirac and room correction software - by Hifi_swlon - 01-Dec-2015, 09:37
Dirac and room correction software - by Krisp - 13-Jan-2016, 18:27