Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirac and room correction software
(02-Feb-2017, 23:56)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(02-Feb-2017, 23:40)marcor Wrote: Hi,

with the new release of Roon that include the DSP engine with Convolution I thought to give it a go and see if I can improve my set up.  
I know that are very early days but has anyone tried to use Roon with DSP/Convolution?
I just ordered a UMIK-1 and read through this topic. It seems that if I want to use my (daughter's) mac to gather the data I can only use REW as all the other software I have seen are only developed for windows and I don't want to go  through the hassle of installing a dual boot or parallels.
Dirac seems to have a version for Mac but my understanding is that the data generated cannot be used by other software, is this still the case?

To my knowledge, you are correct about everything above.  More options if you want to spend money and run windows. (neither of which I really want to do right now)
I've tried all DSP except convolution.  Its great and to be honest you can get a hell of a long way by measuring and then using REW to create parametric EQ filters, or eyeballing it based on measurements.

The trouble with all non-Dirac room correction/convolution filter generation is they're bl**dy complicated and a bit tedious to use if you;re not really interested in learning all about it.  Thats where Dirac won hands down, but the inability to generate filters to be used elsewhere is a hinderance.  Probably a deliberate one on their part.

(02-Feb-2017, 23:40)marcor Wrote: So if I go down the REW route, can I use air to send the signal to the Devialet?  Or USB? Or do I need to use the headphone port and connect it to an analog input on the Devialet?
I am trying to figure out what else I will need for when the Microphone arrives.

thanks a lot

Marco

In theory whatever way you used to output from Roon will still work, it just sends a modified output with the DSP calculated.  So if you used to use Roon > AIR > Devialet, the same should apply.  Its probably not been put through its paces yet, and I know what Roon think of AIR and how well it plays with other software
Thanks Hifi_swlon. To be honest Roon through ethernet to Devialet has worked flawlessly for me so far. Still would be so much better if Devialet would embrace the Roon revolution....

I have expressed myself badly in one of my questions. I was wondering if with REW, while doing the sampling, it is possible to send the sound to the Devialet through AIR or if I need to find some long cables to connect the headphones output of my laptop to the analog of the devialet. Once the analysis is done I immagine that Roon will process the signal and send it to Devialet through ethernet in the usual way.

Thanks

Marco

Messages In This Thread
Dirac and room correction software - by Krisp - 13-Jan-2016, 18:27
RE: Dirac and room correction software - by marcor - 03-Feb-2017, 00:17