Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM Specifications - +/-3db or +/-6db??
(06-Apr-2015, 01:45)wikeeboy Wrote: Apologies if this has been answered somewhere before, but when Devialet specify that effect SAM has on a speakers absolute bottom end is there any information on how they arrive at the result? Normally a speakers specs are quoted as +/- 3db. I think i recall reading somewhere that they may be quoting their numbers at +/- 6db...

I am almost certain that they are using a -10dB figure.

I am basing this on their figures for my speakers - Magico S1's.

Quoting from a post that I wrote on Stereonet :

"I think that part of the reason that Devialet's claims for SAM appear so inflated is that they do not give any reference point.

However, if they are claiming that the un-SAMed Magico S1 speakers go down to 30Hz, then it seems that they are using a -10dB reference point. The un-SAMed S1's are flat to around 48Hz, around 42Hz at -3dB, around 35Hz at -6dB and around 29dB down at -10dB.
These figures are as I read them off a graph published by the German "Stereo" magazine.

SAM is the real deal and I feel that there is no need to claim over-inflated results by using unstated -10dB reference points as it only undermines their achievements."

Devialetchat members that have SAMed speakers that also have a published frequency response graph can check Devialet's claims against the graph.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX

Messages In This Thread
RE: SAM Specifications - +/-3db or +/-6db?? - by gray - 23-Apr-2015, 13:00