Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheaper with SAM vs. more expensive without?
(28-Nov-2014, 17:42)GuillaumeB Wrote: Interesting... I believe Vincent Brient of totaldac was taught by John Westlake on the audio test and measurement side.

Could you not use the Devialet's pre-out to feed the Magtech? I suppose that would really help you evaluate what the Magtech amp is bringing to the party. Level playing field and all that.

I doubt whether adding an extra Devialet will result in sound that is twice as good, but to some of us even a 10 or 15% improvement is worth it! Personally I never found the 240 was quite powerful enough (with Wilson speakers) and adding another unit definitely added something rather alluring to the fluidity/musicality of the Devialet sound.

Guillaume

It did occur to me to use the Dev's pre-outs, and I might give it a try.

The M-DAC upgrade project is fascinating. The next step will be dual mono DACs and upgraded circuits (due in a couple of months). After that JW says he's going to add an ADC and room correction. The aim is an high quality DAC that's also a box of audio tools. A DSPeaker on steroids, I guess. He's also designing a V-FET monobloc amp that I'm sorely tempted by. It uses a 5W Class A output amp and current-dumping circuit a la Quad.

I'm going to run the 400 all weekend and make a judgement next week. Hopefully by then this ruddy Magtech will have turned up. Angry

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cheaper with SAM vs. more expensive without? - by Jwg1749 - 28-Nov-2014, 18:35