Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to spend $10K: D200 or 5 Phantoms??
Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on the DevialetChat forums for some time, as I've been on the fence about upgrading my current system.  I have scheduled a 1 week in home demo with one of my nearby dealers with a D200.  Currently this dealer does not have any Phantom's that I can demo.

In your opinons, what is the best usage of my funds?  A Devialet D200, or 5 Phantoms?  (I believe these are close to the same amount)

My speakers are used for roughly 70% music, 30% movies.  Some background on my current gear:

Speakers:  Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 (Front Left and Right), plus Gallo Reference AV (Center) and Gallo Adiva's (Surround)
PrePro: Integra DHC 9.9
Amp:  D-Sonic Magnum 7 Channel (1000 watt Class-D per channel)
Amp:  Anthony Gallo Reference Subwoofer Amplifier (used for 2nd speaker inputs for low end)
DAC / Music Source:  Logitech Transporter

I know my speakers and gear pale in comparison to some of the high end equipment on here.  However, I wanted something with more refinement that could help me get the maximal "musical" performance out of my Reference 3.5's, while also reducing and potentially getting rid of all of the above gear.  

One of my concerns with the Phantom is the Dialog.  The Dialog does not have a hdmi input.  To me this means it would not be able to play a Dolby/DTS lossless track from a bluray.  This wouldn't be a problem with the D200 as I could simply connect it to a receiver when watching movies, and the receiver could decode the Dolby/DTS lossless tracks.  For music i would connect my music sources directly to the D200.

I live in an urban apartment, so can not upgrade to any massive speakers.  Looks wise, I like the look of my current speakers and the Phantoms, just worry if the Phantoms will match with my current decor.  

Ultimately it is all about the sound though, and your input would be greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Best way to spend $10K: D200 or 5 Phantoms?? - by joranopi - 27-Apr-2015, 05:27