Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet or wifi streaming and white noise on Mac
I've had the opportunity to deal direct with the Devialet engineer who writes the coding for AIR.

My issue, for months, has been noise using AIR, more profound on hi-res (slightly quicker to happen on wifi than ethernet) but still an issue (which happens much more slowly) using 16/44 (again slightly quicker to happen on wifi than ethernet).

Today the engineer took control of my MacBook Pro whilst the noise was present, using ethernet and a buffer size of 5000ms (as he recommended). The noise, by the way, is continuous persistent disturbance, not drop outs or crackles. Apparently, the latter is usually associated with an inadequate wifi infrastructure whereas the former is a timing error associated with the pace at which the audio samples are extracted.

This is, apparently, similar to the issue with Windows, but cannot be eliminated using the same solution.

So they now know where the noise stems from, and need to find a way of solving it. I believe it is due to a one byte offset in the buffer manager - but one which is not solved by having a big buffer size.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England

Messages In This Thread
Ethernet or wifi streaming and white noise on Mac - by IanG-UK - 29-Apr-2015, 12:48