Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air & Devialet memory (technical)
I think the post that Phil linked to explains what's causing the frequent network activity when the Devialet is not actually streaming.  The network activity in that case is probably to do with the discovery mechanism used by AIR and/or the iPhone app.

For information about what's happening when it is streaming, you could take a look at this: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=276.

As far as the buffer is concerned, I recall someone here (Antoine?) confirmed that the on-board buffer RAM is in the region of 1-2 MB, so nowhere near large enough to store a whole track but should be plenty to cope with timing variations and network delays.  By the way, I wouldn't describe that as "really small" for an embedded system.

That seems a reasonable design decision to me: it's hard to define how much memory you'd need to store a whole track -- how long is the longest possible track?  Could be an hour or more, and at 24/192, for example, storing raw PCM data for one track of that length would need more than 4 GB RAM (which is probably not addressable by the processor). 

Hope that helps,

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Air & Devialet memory (technical) - by thumb5 - 03-May-2015, 09:15
Air & Devialet memory (technical) - by amabrok - 03-May-2015, 19:02